Monday, March 11, 2013

Thanks for the Perspective

I need to go to my sons' school and I'm already very late,  but I wanted to thank my friends Anjali and Jennie (no longer blogging) for their comments and their perspective -- I think that what I wrote was unnecessarily harsh and unfeeling. Constructive criticism is always welcome here.

And I edited my previous post too.

I should have read the magazine before, since it has this quote from Taylor Swift too (re. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler -- whom I really like, BTW): "There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women." Which is kind of like my previous post, I guess -- though pretty ironic to include here (since I don't necessarily agree with Swift), but... there you go.

Let's not pick up the "mommy wars" again, right? Thanks again.

2 comments:

Oonie said...

I love Taylor, Tina, and Amy, and was a little disappointed in Taylor for that comment. They didn't go over the line at all, I thought, though I understand where as a 22 year old I would have been hurt. One downside risk to being in the public spotlight from age 17 is people forget that you aren't really a grownup yet, still. (I thought the same about Lindsay Lohan--her "antics" until fairly recently were more expensive but otherwise not very different from most college students', who were her same-age peers, but most college students don't have photographers following them, unless you count FB. She clearly went beyond that a while ago but I used to wince at the "Lindsay DRUNK?" headlines when she was 18 and 19, knowing the girls in the sorority I advised had been doing the same thing the night before but weren't national news because of it. I still wonder how much that kind of thing-pathologizing her culturally absolutely normal behavior- contributed to her issues today.) I digress.
My issues with Sandberg are different but haven't crystalized in to something typable yet.

Anonymous said...

It's quite something to me that you're willing to thank Nicoleandmaggie for such an ugly comment. Disagreement is fine. I'm in favor of it. Offering perspective is also great. Harsh and derisive? Standard academic but it's not okay with me. There are generous, charitable ways to say everything that needs to be said.

I am with you in both your initial reaction and in wanting to temper that reaction with respect for women who have made different choices from mine.