Thursday, March 11, 2010

Nothing Short of Amazing (link post)

Lest you should think the title refers to us, I decided to include that parenthetical remark there.

Things are moving along here (while still somewhat suspenseful), but I'll be a bit laconic for a while because my husband asked me to. I may also temporarily add comment moderation so I can bring more discretion to K's job search experience since I'm already over-sharing as it is. Please email if you get too impatient and want to know more, OK?

I just wanted to "publicly" (or blog-ly) congratulate Leslie M-B on landing a tenure track job. This is a feat in itself on this wretched market, but in Leslie's case it is even more amazing considering that she got a job on a subject area (history) only tangentially related to her PhD in cultural studies.

The most amazing thing, though, was the unconventional way that led her to her previous job(s) and her newly acquired one. Let's just say that "academic mommy blogging" (what I've been doing for the past 5 years) had a major role to play in it!! That alone is incredible to me and comforting in a sense.

I will stop talking now and let you read for yourselves. The other thing that resonated with me was what she says about authenticity, which has been a touchstone in my life ever since I was a earnest young girl (now I'm an earnest almost-middle-aged woman, but the girl's still alive and well inside). I decided early on that I'd be always authentic, true to myself, and that has always been with me.

What Leslie says about her job is the only way I can ever imagine of getting and keeping a job:
So I'm absolutely delighted because I'm starting a job from a position of authenticity; I didn't build up a façade that I'll need to maintain or very carefully disassemble.
BRAVO Leslie! I'm delighted for you too! And your story gives me hope that if I keep on being authentic and passionate about my research interests someday I'll find a place for myself. I hope it'll be easier because I don't think I'd want a tt job (unless it would be the only way for me to do meaningful research). And I think I should definitely try to pursue "unconventional professional development" (e.g. set up a website with my research results).

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story, Leslie! And two thumbs up for blogging!

1 comment:

Leslie M-B said...

Lilian,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad that my post resonated with you. It's been a long journey, but a satisfying one.