Friday, June 13, 2008

Nope

In case you're wondering what the results of my husband's "application" were, he didn't pass.

I'm quite relieved, in fact. The indications from the very first day were that they had an inside candidate who was expected to get in, and that happened. This leads us to believe that no "tenure track" job (it's not the same system as in the U.S.) position is opened here unless they already know who's getting in. This is a SHAME, but it's the way the country works, for the most part. In academia, particularly, in-breeding is what takes place, for the most part, i.e. people from the same institution are hired.

It was not the right time for us to return to Brazil, however, that's what I think, so I'm happy. Our situation is still very uncertain. K is seriously considering quitting big pharma before they kick him out again and going for a postdoc so he can be more competitive in applying in the next year or so. He's even thinking about doing a postdoc in the most prestigious university in the country located in a city named after another university on "the other side of the pond." Got it? Anyway, I think change is coming, we just don't know what it is.

Upcoming: fruit pictures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck to both of you. I'm a little slow, so it took me a while to figure out which university!