Thursday, June 19, 2008

581.90

That's how much I paid (in reais, not dollars, it would be around US$ 332) for the test to identify if there are antibodies to the Lyme disease bacteria in Kelvin's blood. After the doctor saw his rash (the examination was for free because he's our friend) he thought that if the results could be available soon, it would be a good idea to do the test. We were very surprised to learn that one of Brazil's leading labs (if not the best in the country, period), could do the test for this bacteria -- one which doesn't really exist in humans in Brazil -- and that the results would be available on Saturday night. So now we wait. He has already given me a prescription for antibiotics, but I am only going to fill it if the results come out positive.

We're still on the road because on our way from São Paulo to Curitiba we ran into a huge traffic jam (caused by road work) and decided to sleep at our friends' house here. Tomorrow morning we continue our trip. I'll update again either tomorrow night or on Saturday, after we know the results.

P.S. I'm hoping that we can get a refund for the test from our insurance company, but I have no idea how these things work with medical care received in other countries. K had called the pediatrician, who recommended that we see a doctor here, so I guess our doctors back home would be OK with what's being done. We'll see.

5 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you and your boy, Lilian...

Prisca said...

I'm thinking good thoughts for you all. I hope you travel safely and get nothing but good news about Kelvin.

Kateri said...

holy crap, lilian! i ahven't been checking blogs lately and i had no idea this was going on! i'm crossing my fingers for you and your dear boy...

Anonymous said...

I hope the results turn out fine. I think the waiting is really hard, in a way its good that your are traveling and not at home. My thoughts are with you in this tough situation.

Anonymous said...

Lilian, make sure you have the receipt. When you get home make a translation of labs/and receipt and submit to insurance. I had abou t R$300 in labs when I was in Brazil last month and my insurance reimbursed beyond what I paid, according to their regular schedule fee for labs.