Monday, June 30, 2008

More on Fever, Lyme Disease, and Other Issues

First, just a reminder about the "Lyme Disease Saga" -- it isn't over yet, in spite of the negative test result in Brazil. Kelvin started antibiotics on Thursday night and I feel better about this, although I'm a bit concerned about the possible side-effects (more on that in a minute).

An update on the fever situation, the boys' fevers have spiked again (this time up to 103) and the bad news is that they haven't gone down even after the correct dose of acetaminophen, only to 101-102. Both are still feverish three hours after taking it. I'm wondering if I should give them ibuprofen instead.

Now, I am very very thankful for one thing: the fact that both boys have a fever. If only Kelvin had it, I'd be most certainly freaking out. My mom's fever (most certainly caused by a virus) also helps me feel better about them being sick.

Another worry (typical parenting discussion now) -- both boys are constipated. Linton always is, but not Kelvin never, so I'm thinking it may be related to taking the antibiotic. Now, I am a bit too, so it may be related to our trip, to diet, whatever. If the boys don't have a bowel movement tomorrow, I'll be really worry, since it's been several days (I'm giving them both MiraLax).

OK, hopefully tomorrow (technically later today) I can have better news to report, but for now, this is the situation -- it's a sick house and I have to go back to my feverish boys. They're both sleeping, which is good, but in half an hour I'm going to give them acetaminophen again -- if the fevers don't go down, then I will keep on worrying. Can one give acetaminophen and ibuprofen? I really don't know the answer to that.

3 comments:

Alisha Stafford Feitosa said...

So sorry to hear about the current sick house. Hope you're all feeling back to normal soon!

Libby said...

for what it's worth, our pediatrician does recommend alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen, giving the second 3 hours after the first (ie, before the first dose wears off). It does seem to help.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I would skip the Tylenol this time and go straight to the IB. I'm sorry you all are sick. It's promising that you said when the fever goes down, they feel better. Hopefully the IB will do the trick. Get better soon!