Monday, April 14, 2008

What (Not) to Wear - Dissertation Edition




What should I wear to the defense?

- Professional clothes (like for job interview)?
- Casual professional clothes that one would wear for teaching? (I haven't been teaching and I also used to wear informal everyday clothes, [jeans, blouses, sweaters, sundresses in summer]when I taught)
- Regular everyday clothes?/ Comfortable clothes?

And to my female friends who defended in the past: what did you wear?

I wanted to take pictures of the outfits that I'm considering wearing, but that would take too much time. I will post a picture later of what I chose to wear, meanwhile, suggestions are appreciated.

Some of my options:
- Comfortable, cute, "very-much-like-me" outfit: one of those short jumper dresses (plaid beige with blue and black) with a black tight blouse and black leggings and black ballet flats. -- I'd look too much like a little girl, but I love this look.

- Pantsuit (which a friend gave me recently, gently used). Brown with discreet gold stripes. Can only be worn with high heeled shoes, though -- I wouldn't much mind that. The pants are a bit tight, however (it's a stretch fabric, so it's not that bad).

- Checkered (brown/beige) or striped (brown/beige/blue) shorter length pantaloon/ gaucho pants with boots (slightly high, but square, comfortable heels - shorter beige/ or longer brown boots, depending on pants) with blue blouse or brown sweater.

I guess those are my favorite four options. I own several skirt/suit outfits, but I'd rather wear pants.

What's your vote?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

My advice is to dress up. At least in my discipline, that's just expected. I wore a gray suit with a white blouse and chunky jewelry. (I didn't wear the jacket during the defense, though, because it was eight billion degrees and humid on the day I defended.) I think you'll just feel more like a professional if you dress like one. (The same logic as if you are working from home, you must change out of your pajamas or you won't get anything done!)

Aliki2006 said...

I'd say wear what you most feel chic, comfortable, and completely capable and stunning in. I always find that if I feel good in what I wear, then I project this!

Rene said...

I agree with the first two comments: better to be on the dressed up side.

Mine was only a thesis defense, of course, but I wore a black skirt and matching 3/4 length jacket with a light blue collared top and heals, though I think I took off my jacket too due to room temperature and nerves.

You'll have to at least take a picture in your outfit of choice once you're all done and can relax. Yay!

M said...

I would say it is better to be on the dressed up/professional side, so as much as you like the jumper leggings combination, that may not be the best way to go! On the other hand, we are in a profession where we can get away with showing a bit more "personality" in our wardrobes than others can. It isn't corporate America, so I don't see a need to wear a suit, especially not if your uncomfortable in one. Wear the dressiest think you're comfortable in.