Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ha! Guess What?

After staying up most of the night up talking last Monday and then twelve hours walking in and out of stores the next day made my defense system weak and I began to get a sore throat. I hoped it wouldn't become worse and I was already much better yesterday, but my voice began to get lower and I guess that after some singing with our musical group this afternoon it just got much much worse and now I'm totally hoarse. I had my tonsils removed at age four, so I often have laryngitis whenever I get a virus or cold. Now... how am I going to talk a the defense? Is there any way I could get better quickly from laryngitis? I guess not, right? Sometimes, like the last time I had it, I totally loose my voice and the most irritating thing for me is being unable to sing for weeks. I do enjoy my voice when I'm either getting sick or recovering -- a low, sexy, throaty voice ;-) but I don't want to be terribly hoarse at the defense!!!

Oh well... my mom's preparing pomegranate skin tea for me (which she says helps a lot), and when I have a sore throat sage leaf tea usually helps. Any advice or tried and true recipes? I will most certainly go to bed early and get lots of sleep in the next few days, but I don't know if that'll help my swollen larynx. Wish me luck with that!

7 comments:

Prisca said...

This could only happen to you, Lilian! Is this psychosomatic? ;) My brother got a case of hysterical blindness before he defended his dissertation (really, it lasted 24 hours and he could see to walk around but not to read!). I'm wishing you well and a strong voice so you can loudly defend your excellent work.

Lilian said...

I don't think it's psychosomatic at all, Prisca. I'm as calm as can be. It is a consequence of staying up late for days in a row, and not eating right, etc... plus lots of singing this afternoon. I often get laryngitis when I get a cold/virus.

Funny story, this one of your brother!! I think my voice will be better on Wednesday, though!

Rene said...

How frustrating. Let me know what works best--I've been getting a sore throat too, though I don't think mine is full on laryngitis. And I've never heard of pomegranate skin tea--interesting.

Cheryl said...

drink lots of fluids and get lots of sleep. we'll keep you in our thoughts.

kate said...

Oh no! Maybe use some visualization-- a few times a day, relax and imagine yourself confidently defending your dis with a clear, strong voice...

Renata said...

My tonsils were taken out when I was 2, so the same happens to me.
I was going to tell you to try pomegranate skin tea. I used to gargle with it when I lived in Brazil (I had more laryngitis there, I think it has to do w/ allergies) and it helped a lot.

Also, someone told my mother to eat apple skins when you feel that you have to constantly clear your throat. Even if it doesn't work, it can't hurt you.

Unknown said...

Sending healing thoughts your way!