Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Five Hundred and Eight Years Ago
















Today, back in 1500, the Portuguese sailor Pedro Álvares Cabral landed in Brazil with the group of thirteen tall Portuguese ships [caravelas] and their crews that he led. They first thought that it was a mountain and named it "Easter Mount" (Monte Pascoal) because it was close to Easter. A few days later when they left this new place, thinking it might be an island or big piece of land, they named it "Vera Cruz [True Cross]" Island. When other explorerers came and realized that it was actually a continent, they named it "Terra de Santa Cruz" [Holy Cross Land]. It was not until 1511 when brazilwood was discovered, that the place was named Brazil (Brasil). Brazil wood has that name because it was a bright red color and it was taken to Europe to make a red die, the word "Brasil" comes from the word "brasa" -- red, bright fire embers or burning wood.

Well, I bet you didn't know that, so now you do. Every April 22 I think of that day long ago which marked the beginning of the European settlement of my country. I feel sad for the natives who were driven out of their land and many killed, and for the nature that was destroyed, but unfortunately that's what "civilization" means. And in spite of all that post-colonial theory represents, I'm glad that Brasil became the country it is now and that it is the place where I belong in this planet, even though I don't live there anymore.

I couldn't find any good links where you can read more about this subject in English! :-(

1 comment:

Keith said...

I hope to visit Brazil someday. Indeed my spanish is good enough to frustrate me listening to all that portugese. Still, Brazil looks like anamazing place. Thank you for such a fun site!