Saturday, December 15, 2007

Rest

I had to smile when RocketMom wrote on a comment to the previous post that it was "ok to take it easy." Little did she know that I wouldn't be able to take it easy yesterday nor today and although I guess I can rest now, I still have some more things coming up before we take a true "vacation"* and head to Massachusetts for 10 days next Friday.

This morning we had a Christmas program in church and K and I were organizing it, so last night, after practicing some songs with our musical group and getting back home 10 p.m. I stayed up until 4 a.m. preparing materials (mostly a handout that ended up not being used) and power point presentations for today's program. [I'm sorry you didn't make it to the music part Cloudscome, but it was surely nice to have lunch with you and talk!] I had only 4 hours of sleep and now I'm obviously exhausted.

We couldn't return home after we were done at 3 p.m. and had to stay in Philly because a good friend had her 50th birthday party tonight. The party was really nice and we thoroughly enjoyed the time with our friends in spite of the fact that we had to drive for a whole hour to get back home. The tiredness is taking its toll on us now and we have to go to bed soon (K is watching SNL right now, though, in spite of the fact that he had to stop the car so I could drive the last part of the way home).

And tomorrow there's more of the same (minus most of the work): we have a holiday party and "White Elephant" gift exchange with our church friends. I'm in charge of baking a couple of pot pies, but I'm sure I'll enjoy baking them (and, most of all, eating them!).

~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Talking about rest, I'm very sorry to report that my only living grandparent, my 95 year old grandmother's health took a turn for the worse this week. She is hospitalized now and she may go to rest soon. The hardest thing is that her body is failing, but she's perfectly lucid and aware of everything. She talks about dying and she wants it to come soon so she can rest.

I'm just so sad [I'm crying now] and I really feel for my poor father who is going through such an unbelievably dark phase in his life right now. This would be so hard for him to bear. He's her favorite son too. When she heard about the accident (before the man died) she just laughed and shrugged it off and said: "I know everything will be all right. Things always go well for [my son] since he's such a good man." This will be the grandparent's loss that I'll feel most keenly (I'll talk about the others someday).

Well, I know I should go get some rest now.

* Vacations with young children are never restful. Life is never restful with them. Last night K remarked that people with little children just can't lead "normal" lives -- most everything in our lives revolves around them, doesn't it?

8 comments:

t1 Diabetes said...

I'm sorry about your dad and his mom, Lilian. Hugs.

Prisca said...

Oh, Lilian! What an exhausting time for you. It's such a shame that doing such interesting and special things can end up being just too much. I'm glad you and K are scaling back on things come Jan. 1.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother. It is hard to see decline in those we love. I continue to pray for you and all of your family.

p.s. You ARE right about parents with little children can NOT lead restful lives!

Unknown said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sending many good thoughts your way.

Aliki2006 said...

Oh Lilian, I am so so very sorry about your grandmother, and about all that your father is going through. I'll be thinking of all of you...

grumpyABDadjunct said...

I'm thinking of you and your family, Lilian.

Cheryl said...

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother's failing health. Not sure what else to say, but that when it is time she goes peacefully.

Now, about taking it easy ... what I meant is, it's ok to leave some things undone! But I know sometimes we won't allow ourselves to do that. Still, with all the stress in your life right now, try to get some rest.

I like going on vacation to visit my parents because then the kids are happy playing with Grandma & Grandpa for a while, and mom & dad can actually relax.

Susan said...

Lilian, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Mine also passed at 95 and even though she was ready, we were so not ready to let her go. It's hard to say goodbye. It's really sad. Sending hugs to you and your father and your family.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Lilian I had such a great time at your church last weekend! Thank you for inviting me. I am sorry I missed the music. Next time I will make it on time!

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother's health. Prayers for you all.

Try to take it easy in these hectic days. I know you are on vacation as I write this. Let others take care of you and your boys for a while!