Tuesday, December 04, 2007

NYT Article About Brazilians Leaving the U.S.

Edited to add a paragraph.
Two blog readers, Lauren (via a comment) and Karen (by email), brought this article from today's NY Times to my attention. Karen said she wanted to hear my thoughts on the subject.

Well... if you've been a careful reader you'll know that I have very conflicted feelings about my compatriots who come here illegally. I've interacted with hundreds of them over the eleven and a half years in which we've lived here and there's always a subtle divide between us since I'm not in the same situation and have never been. I don't agree with what they're doing although I'm not insensitive and can understand why they decided to come. I actually thing it's a very good idea to go back, at least for people like those described in the article -- middle class people. They generally come with the desire to stay for just a while and return later and sometimes they do.

One of my best friends went back in 2005 and even though it broke my heart to know that our two children, both of whom are just one month apart (we enjoyed being pregnant together twice since we lived only one hour away) wouldn't grow up "together" (i.e. seeing each other several times a year instead of just once a year or every two years) I knew that they'd be much better off in Brazil. And they are, they're happy and relieved that they decided to leave. The children are American citizens and they can return one day if they want. There they're close to family (although they did have one brother here who has remained because his daughter is a promising swimmer) and friends.

Now... I have come to know many people who were really quite poor in Brazil and for those returning is much harder. Most came with their children's future in sight although I cannot see how they'll really benefit if they weren't born here. And I guess some of those are staying in spite of all the "tightening" circumstances. Some didn't leave Brazil with a desire to go back, they just want to stay and make a new life here.

Anyway, this is a subject that brings me pain and anguish. Even interacting with these folks is painful at times, particularly knowing that I'm better off than they are because of my legal status, educational background, etc. It's funny that years ago when we first met some of the middle class people who were coming they would actually be shocked to find out that I didn't really like it here and that I planned to go back. I was proud of that and very critical of those who simply idolized the U.S. and thought it was "the promised land" or something. I never viewed myself as an immigrant, although that may be changing, let's see.

Edited to add:
Oh, and if we return to Brazil it certainly won't be for the same reasons those folks featured in the article are returning. We're planning to go back only if K gets the tenured professor post at the largest and most prestigious university in Brazil (perhaps in Latin America). He may not even get to "apply" for it, though since the concurso (official examination) may be scheduled at date when he may have received other job offers. We'll see.

Anything else about this you'd like to know?

(I am planning to write more on my thoughts and feelings as an expatriate although I often feel at a loss for words to express then).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lilian for writing your thoughts on this. I know your circumstances are different in many aspects than those portrayed in the article.

What really struck a chord with me is that there seems to be an acknowledgement that the US is not the promised land. It's a popular myth that is beginning to lose its allure.

My son just got back from a year as an exchange student in Germany. Not once did any of his German friends express an interest in living in the US. They did wish to visit and see some of the sights, but they were well aware of our shortcomings here. They felt their lives were better in Germany.

I guess this is the result of the Earth "flattening" as expressed by Thomas Friedman in his book; people in other countries are more aware of the reality of life in America.

Again, thanks for writing and so quickly, too!

KarenM in NC

Keiko said...

Pois é Lilian...uma vez fora nunca mais dentro, nem fora, coraçõezinhos divididos, ô dureza!

K vai fazer concurso pra USP? Chique, chique, mas duro também...

beijinho,
Keiko