Monday, December 31, 2007

2007: The Roller-Coaster Year

I think I've never experienced a year with so many ups and downs, twists and turns as this one. Good thing I like roller coasters ;)

The Year in One Paragraph
In January-February we were waiting for job applications. K had an academic job interview and applied to the big pharma job at the end of February and got the job in March. In April and May we started looking at houses and had an offer accepted at the end of May. In June-July we had to give up on that house since the visa process was taking too long. I traveled to Brazil with the boys in July-August and when we came back our house was sold and K's visa finally came after five long months. We looked for houses, made an offer which was accepted, K started work, Kelvin started kindergarten. We closed on the first house, were "homeless" for a week before moving into our new old home. Moving was extremely stressful and the first weeks at the new house were tough because it's an old fixer upper which needs tons of work. On Oct. 31st, the very same day in which K mailed our first mortgage payment, K lost his job. The week before, my dad had hit a man who subsequently died. Dark times. We were at a loss for what to do when on Dec. 18, our 13th wedding anniversary, K learned he was going to continue at big pharma. Undescribable relief.

Last year I wished that this year I'd defend my dissertation and graduate and I didn't do that yet (partly because I wanted to maintain my visa so I could travel to Brazil)... Now I have no idea how things are going to progress in this respect : (

I'm so glad and relieved that we can look forward to this new year, that's just absolutely priceless. There are tons of things that I could write about 2007 and maybe later I'll write a post highlighting the main posts that I wrote this year, but it's getting close to midnight and I want to post this, that's why it's not nicely written or anything.

Happy New Year to everyone!! I hope 2008 is a great year. I can truthfully say that every single year of my life has been better than the one before. It's comforting to feel that way.

P.S. Oh, and I'm happy to report that my grandma went back home today. Back in 1997 my maternal grandmother died when I lived here in this town and I didn't want to be here again when my other grandma passed away. I'm thrilled that she has recovered.

3 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Happy New Year and all the best to you!

jo(e) said...

I hope you have a wonderful 2008!

Sarah Sometimes said...

what a roller-coaster year for you, indeed! How wonderful that things look to be going in a better direction for you and your family, and don't worry, I know you will finish the dissertation! All the best for 2008.