Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Woman Kicked off Plane for Breastfeeding!

Breastfeeding in the news again! This might have happened because the child was older (22 monhts). I haven't been breastfeeding my 29 month old in public anymore, but in our recent plane trips to Nashville I just had to to settle him down, or he would start screaming. Nobody was in the seat with us, though, and I turned my back to the people on the other side of the aisle. I guess those things helped.

My secret for nursing on airplanes is wearing a nursing top (mine are all from Motherwear since I was able to buy them at their outlet store -- my sons were born 1 mile from the factory and store, actually). This October I wasn't wearing one, (I have started wearing regular clothes and bras now, I'm tired of four years (actually 5 1/2 years) of maternity and nursing fashions non-stop), but luckily I had a cardigan sweater with me and that helped. I guess covering up is important for the sake of others. I think I'd refuse a blanket too, like that woman did, I tend NOT to want to cover up if people just have me do it (it's in my rebellious nature :).

Thanks M, from Separation of Spheres for posting the link.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(oooh...let me know when you want to get rid of your Motherwear...)

Thanks for posting this. It is truly appalling. I quit using a blanket early on, b/c Ellis always kicked them off. So it was more of a dramatic show to use a blanket than not. By the time, they really have latch down, you don't really need one of you have the right kind of clothes on. It's very easy to nurse without your breast showing.

I mean to be truly consistent, Delta would have to kick off indecently dressed people, too. "Here's a blanket, miss. You have far too much cleavage showing."

Keiko said...

Engracado essas coisas, eu particularmente tb tenho um "nursing top" q uso sempre, mas jah vi gente tirando "o peitao" assim, sem cerimonia, o q acho estranho, mas dai a tirar a moca do aviao, uma certa intolerancia exagerada...coisas de America do Norte?

Choco Pie said...

A two year old is not going to accept having a blanket put over her head. Considering that the woman was on the window seat and her husband was next to her in the aisle seat, it's hard for me to believe anyone other than the flight attendant could see what was going on. Grouchy Flight Attendant Syndrome is what I suspect.

Choco Pie said...

Maybe we should use the blankets to cover the heads of the people who don't like looking at breastfeeding.

Juliet said...

When I read the story last night, you were the first person I thought of! hehe

I've never had any problems breastfeeding on planes. I hope this recent incident doesn't become common practice.