Wednesday, November 01, 2006

How Blogging Changed My Life

This post wasn't meant to see the light for a while. I also really dislike the title, but I wasn't able to come up with anything better, more original, fresh or smart-sounding -- sorry about that! :) I wanted to write the post slowly, create a "masterpiece" that conveyed all my feelings about this subject. But then late last night I read Corey's beautiful post about meeting Alice and her family last summer (here's Alice's response) and it moved me so much, that I just couldn't wait to write about this.

When I started blogging, almost two years ago, I felt unbearably lonely. It's true that I had just moved to a new city from a place where I had lived for eight years (MA) and I had just had my second baby while caring for a 2 year old. Loneliness was not a new feeling for me, though. For eight long years I had missed my country and my friends and tried to cope with being an expatriate, a graduate student in another country, trying to fit in and teach in a college system that was quite different from the one I had been exposed to in Brazil. After I had my sons, though, and all our friends in Brazil started having children around the same time (in 2003-4, before moving from MA to PA, I had visited Brazil and our first-born children had all played together), it became even harder to be here, separated not only from our best friends, but also from their children.

Of course these friendships were mostly based on past experiences, but those had been intense enough to keep us very close. During all those eight years (it's been over ten now), my husband would argue with me that my problem with not having friends or not being as close as I wanted to my friends was something that I'd experienced even back in Brazil, and he was right in this respect. I always struggled with the fact that I was never able to remain as close I used to be to my high-school friends after we all went to college, got boyfriends, got married. The problem with me was that I needed to share a lot of myself in order to feel close to them. I always kept journals and wrote poems (which I shared with my friends), and even wrote them letters, but all that was a "one way" communication. After we moved to the U.S. virtually none of my close friends from Brazil ever wrote regular emails to me and that really made me very lonely (there's one exception, Marco, but he "doesn't count" because he's a blogger and a writer and he'd always respond to my emails because he loves to write, like me).

All right, I'm crying, almost sobbing, as I write this. Let me backtrack a bit. After I met my husband in 1990, we formed several life-long friendships in the years that led to our move to this country in 1996. He became close friends with several of my high-school friends and together we met lots of new people in the university and while singing in a choir that traveled all over the country. So we made many incredible friends and had unforgettable and profound experiences together. Then we left them all behind and embarked on a new journey. For 10 years we have been trying to keep in touch, meet for all-night-long conversations (although things get much more complicated when we all have children) when we go to Brazil, like the one that we had the night before I wrote this post. But it's always hard to try to convey eight, nine years of experiences in a foreign country to your friends who remained in Brazil, not to mention the fact that we sometimes had to waste a lot of time trying to make them understand how politics works here (Brazilians are generally VERY critical of the U.S., to the point of obnoxiousness, to say the least). Anyway, what I wrote on that post last January kind of sums up my relationship with blogging -- it came to mean "living" for me -- interacting with other people, getting to know people, so I wouldn't feel lonely and would feel alive. So I wrote:
These days I’m not blogging because I’m finally “living” instead of just pretending I have a life, which I is the case most of the time when I’m not in Brazil, particularly because I when I’m in the US I feel the need to be online a lot, it’s the only semblance to “having a life” that I can find in our lives there, my only way to interact with like-minded people, to meet new friends, etc. Depressing, isn’t it?
and
I finally don’t feel jealous of Jo(e), who’s one of my favorite bloggers, particularly because of her wonderful, moving posts about her family and her rich, fulfilling life experiences. And I feel like I can finally identify with many moments described by one of my favorite mama writers, Catharine Newman (e.g. I can’t even begin to describe here Kelvin’s budding relationship to our best friends’ daughter Beatriz [photo below], I can finally appreciate fully when Catharine writes about Ben and Ava. Too bad we’re going away in just 2 weeks
I have spent ten years torn between living here and going back to Brazil. I would often complain to my husband that I felt lonely, that we needed to go back to Brazil because only there we could have a satisfying social life and real friends. After the children were born, the friends there actually started begging us to come back, showing us how good friends our children were (which is true, see the photo on the left), how lovely it would be to have them grow up together (I'm going to start crying again) since they were all the same age and could be friends like we were. We still don't know if going back the way for us, there are so many issues at stake like I wrote on the post cited above.

One thing has definitely changed, or "evolved" from January to now. I no longer think that my "online life" as opposed to a "real life" is depressing anymore, on the contrary. All right, first let me say that I am aware that I'm absolutely addicted to blogging. I talk about blog posts and my blogger friends all the time with my husband (it was very tough to refrain from talking to my parents about it, I guess this is one of the reasons why we didn't talk much in the 10 months they were here, and I do feel kind of bad about this). Moreover, I often feel guilty about how much time I spend reading other people's blogs, commenting, and writing on my blog.

However, I started to feel OK about it one day after a long conversation in the car with my husband, driving back from Maryland one Sunday night last Summer. I was very surprised by what he told me. He said that I had become a much easier person to live with in the past year. That I didn't complain as much and that I was generally happy all the time. I just sat there, in silence, mulling his words over. I then said tentativelly,

"Don't you think then that it's bad that I spend so much time blogging? Am I not wasting my time?" and he responded that no, it wasn't. I won't ever forget what he said next, though:

"Have you noticed that you have stopped saying that you want to go back to Brazil?"

I just sat there, dumbfounded. Even I didn't know that blogging had changed my life that much. We were silent for a while, letting this realization sink in. It was only after I started to make friends through blogging, to feel part of a community that shared many of my interests and had similar experiences, that I felt truly happy and stopped wishing for an "external change" (going back to Brazil and to our "old" friends) to make my life right. We then talked of how meaningful it was to me to have "met" these people, how fulfilling it was to be able to share my thoughts and feelings with like-minded friends, even if virtually. I had found what I had been longing for all those years, struggling to try to find time to share my thoughts, my journals, my life, with my now very busy friends. My husband wisely concluded:

"You're the kind of person who needs to share yourself with other people and when that need is met [through blogging], you're a much easier person to live with."

I realize that all these years the pressure on him was huge. I mean, it wasn't easy on him being an expatriate either, but I'm sure it was even harder having his wife complaining (and he hates whining) about how you don't have any friends, how you don't have time to read what she wrote in her journal (he does read the blog now :), or and how we should go back to Brazil because then we wouldn't feel so lonely... Regardless of that, I'm truly glad that he appreciates and values my experience with blogging.

The best part of all these "virtual friendships" is that they can become "in real life" friendships too!! Corey's post describes this really well. First, I really identify with what Corey wrote about emails or written communication such as blogging: "when I write about my thoughts via email or a blog, I feel a kind of expanse of space and time, a limitless freedom to be who I am."

Then, her description of meeting Alice was so wonderful:
We were meeting each other for the first time “backwards”: We met for the first time already knowing each other's difficulties, struggles, foibles and pet peeves rather than first putting up our best personas until our true selves slowly seeped through. But meeting that way means having already gotten to know each other and not needing to start from the beginning. We met already having gained the trust of the other.
I felt a similar connection with Cloudscome when we met over the Summer. I'm really looking forward to the day when I get to meet Alice, Corey, Kate, Juliet, Jo(e), Articulate Dad, Professing Mama, Professor Me, Aliki, and many others (I'm not including the links, sorry) in person as I have already met Kateri, Jo, Andi, Marta, and Cloudscome.

And now, Corey, you have to email me your phone number so I can call sometime so you can hear my voice, and I yours! :)

12 comments:

Alice said...

"We met already having gained the trust of the other." - I couldn't have said it any better! I so hope we can meet one day, Lilian. This distance sucks so much, and it's soo difficult and expensive to travel so far with all the kids. Still, I'm not giving up hope that one day we can arrange a meeting, maybe even with Corey and Clo and some of the others ... that would be truly awesome!!

((((hugs)))) to you. I remember what it felt like as an expat abroad, without family and friends, and feeling like you belong neither here nor there. Even after I've returned home I continued feeling quite isolated because many of my friends here couldn't understand that part of me that had lived abroad for so long, so I had to hide that part of me away or pretend it doesn't exist. It's another kind of loneliness, of a kind when you are finally with your old friends but you realize that they cannot understand you 100% after all because you grew apart ...

...thus is the world of Third Culture Kids, Lilian!! It'll be a big issue for your kids as well one day .. I'll be writing more about it in the future! ;)

christina said...

Ah, this is such a beautiful post, Lilian! I can totally identify with everything you've written and I know that I am *definitely* happier since I started blogging. I've met so many incredible people, both online and in real life. My husband isn't quite so convinced that it's a good thing, but he's getting there.

Gabriella said...

I couldn't agree with you more on this post. I met one of my fellow bloggers last week and it was great. Sometimes I feel closer to the bloggers I read than some of my own friends, I guess mostly because we all have similiar feelings or are going through like situations.

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, what a beautiful, well-said post, Lilian. I think I'm a lot like you--I need tor each out, to express myself, to have friendships. I have really missed having that since leaving graduate school. I have very few "in real life" friends I can just call up and talk to and blogging has been of immeasurable help to me. It's as if the floodgates have opened! I think it's provided an outlet for my creative self in ways I didn't have before.

I hope we can meet, too! It shouldn't be too impossible--my folks live in Maryland which isn't too far off from Philly, is it?

Anonymous said...

Here, here!!!

I'm with you, too. Blogging has given me friendships and community that I haven't always had access to (and desperately longed for) in my geographical space, especially living where we were before moving to Philly just over a year ago.

Which brings me to my next point. Dude! We live in the same city. We have boys! Let's get together!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

You know I think I am afraid to explore how much blogging has changed my life. I used to think "Who in the world would put their journal online for strangers to read? What is wrong with people who want to do that? I would NEVER do that!!!" HA the jokes on me. I can't stop. I have discovered a whole new world and I love it. I love the connection and I love the people I've met. What power there is in blogging!

I loved meeting you last summer and we have to get together again soon.

Juliet said...

I'm sorry I haven't had much of a chance to check blogs these last couple of days, and I just now read this. What a beautiful post! It really touched my heart. I can not wait until the day we can meet face to face. I just know that it will be a sweet meeting! *hugs* I am so happy that we "met". ^_^

M said...

I'm not sure if it is all the hormones in my body right now, but your post brought tears to my eyes. I also live far from close friends and family and deal with the constant guilt associated with being far away, which is only going to get worse now that S is here. I'm happy to have the opportunity to "meet" people like you, even if we can't talk face to face.

Anonymous said...

Lilian

I am so with you on this post. You wrote all the things I too have been thinking in my head - so beautifully. I am so grateful for all my blog friends, but at the same time - it also makes me wish that we all lived close to one another so that we could go to one another's houses, borrow books, watch movies together at night while our kids slept on the floor oneach other's living rooms or upstairs in a big communal kid bed. I have to admit that you are one of the bloggers that I really hope to be able to meet at some point, as your blog is one of my favorites. And I am so glad that you are happier!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! And I can totally identify. I don't think that virtual friendships or community are "second rate" at all. They saved my life, too! I'm glad to have met you this way!

Keiko said...

noooossa ( enquanto uma lagrima cai) eh isso!!! Menina, eu nao teria dito melhor!Eh minha vida, mas em 2 anos, ao inves de 10! Muito estranha essa sensacao todam, nao? Alias, eu comecei meu blog em uma semana de muita tristeza! Estava me sentindo uma porta, exatamente porque os emails dos amigos do Brasil comecaram a escassar,comentei mais de mil vezes com meu marido como eu ia fazer pra viver assim, sem meus amigos de infancia, com quem eu tinha uma historia e nao precisava "fazer forca" pra ter assunto, pra rir a toa, pra agradar ou nao, eu estava atrasada com a deadline de um artigo e meu ingles ainda nao esta essa maravilha...fiquei pensando, q raiva, eu consigo escrever qualquer coisa em portugues, porque raios eu fui inventar de vir pra ca? Ficar sem amigos, sem conseguir dizer o q eu quero do jeito q eu quero...
Qdo um amigo meu aqui falou : escreve um blog, eu percebi q essa era minha salvacao...
Quanto aos encontros, vc eh a segunda pessoa q eu comeco a falar gracas ao blog (a outra eh a Flavia), mas com a diferenca q com vc eu tenho um certo passado!(alias eu estava aqui pensando enquanto lia, q engracado o Klebert ter sido meu professor no ginasio e agora estamos aqui, trocando figurinhas...) Ao menos sabemos do q estamos falando, melhor ainda...to bem contente!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lilian,

I know we already emailed but I am finally finding time to write a direct comment to your blog. All I can say is that your writing opens hearts and minds. You are a kindred soul to all of us who long for communication, community, honesty and empathy. Sharing what you do in your blog makes me sigh a breath of relief. I want to give you a big hug to thank you. I'm not sure what we will talk about when you call but you should still call. I am not witty, I'm not chatty but I will be honest and kind and genuine since I know you will accept my insecurities as human. I hope you know how special you really are. Please never stop blogging!

Hugs from Seattle,
Corey