Sunday, October 02, 2011

Occupy Wall Street - Brief Comment & Links 3/114

I don't watch TV, so I have no idea whether the media in this country is covering Occupy Wall Street and how it's doing it. I first heard about it from Michael Moore's twitter feed and recently I've read this very interesting article by David Graeber in UK's The Guardian, about it. It is titled "Occupy Wall Street rediscovers the radical imagination" and the byline goes "The young people protesting in Wall Street and beyond reject this vain economic order. They have come to reclaim the future."

Laura @ 11D just wrote a post about it with two other links that you should check out. I wonder if anything will come from this movement. Yesterday I followed my twitter feed and the photos it directed me to with interest since they had occupied the Brooklyn Bridge and the police arrested hundreds of people, including a NYT reporter.

Whoa! Apparently 700 were arrested and that demonstrations will continue in spite of that. ("The more they fight it, the stronger it gets" is Michael Moore's website tagline for that last link above).

Let's see where these protests are going... After watching Inside Job and other documentaries about the financial crisis, I have lost all faith in any people "down below" having any influence on what goes on with the rich and powerful and with the corrupt politicians....

P.S. I forgot to link to this photo of airline pilots protesting.

No comments: