Monday, October 24, 2011

I like it when I can use outside as a refrigerator...

... but not so much when it can be used as a deep freezer. ;)

Seriously, though, it's very practical when I can just stick my huge pressure cooker outside on my deck and know that the beans I just cooked will be nice and cool in the morning. Of course once in a while in the winter when we have guests and I run out of room in the freezer, I sometimes stick frozen things out there too.

Tomorrow I'm bringing food for my Brazilian culture class (26 students) and I put not only the black beans outside, but also the dessert which I just took out of the oven (a chocolate "flan"-type dessert that we call Brigadeirão). I hope they like the food. I'm also making rice, "farofa" (a toasted manioc flour dish) and fish* "moqueca" (a kind of stew) as well as sautéed finely copped collard greens.

Maybe I'll take pictures... but I always take tons of photos of food I cook and I end up never putting them up on the blog. I probably should, right?

*I still eat fish, once in a long while, so I'm not 100% vegetarian.

1 comment:

Rene said...

Sounds yum. What a sweet teacher cooking for your students. I can't remember the last time I did that.

On another note, I tried moqueca for the first time last weekend. This great restaurant in Paraty had a vegetarian version with bananas.