Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day (and hope for the other class)

Today I begin teaching again, one more year of "working in the margins" for me. Last Friday was a bad day... I was depressed and angry, particularly during the all faculty meeting that I attended just to go with K and to eat a free breakfast (yeah, when you grow up frugal & thrifty like I have you never, ever pass up a chance to have a free meal).

We talked and talked, K and I. He understands my frustration, and though he knows that I am a "realistic pessimist" (I think I wrote a post about this some time...) he has a hard time dealing with my reasonings. He was pretty patient, though... Right now we have no other option, so we'll see for how long I'll be OK with this situation.

Last night I received an email from the dept. chair saying that if worse comes to worse they can pay me by the student -- which makes way more sense than having to do independent studies for free, right? Her email was motivated by the fact that one of my students emailed her and begged her not to cancel the class. Yay for involved students!!

OK, I have to go now... I need to get ready to leave and I still need to finish my syllabi for tomorrow as well as print out today's at the university.

I'll let you know how the day goes, OK? I'm so excited about my new class about Brazil!!

No comments: