Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake!!

And the worst part about it? (tongue in cheek)

I was driving, so I never felt the first earthquake of my life. oh well... :P

K felt it very strongly in his office and he says it was scary to see his desk, his computer, his books, move around, but the scariest thing was when the window shades started banging against the window. Yikes! He and his colleagues went into the hallway and began wondering what was going on until they realized that it really was an earthquake.

My youngest son and his class felt it, but my 4th grader and his classmates didn't notice anything, so Kelvin and I were both disappointed for "missing" the quake. Maybe next time, though I earnestly hope there won't be a next time!

BIL K3 says he was in a meeting and one of the people had lived in California and made them all get up and leave the building immediately.

Several friends called us right away or left messages for us and I received several emails including one my from my brother who happens to be in Bolivia right now. It's good to know that friends and loved ones are concerned with us and want to know whether we're ok.

I won't say how close we were to the epicenter for the sake of this blog's semi-anonymity... ;)

Next thing K will do is to call our homeowners' insurance and check whether it covers earthquake damage!

Well, those of you in California are probably laughing at the hullabaloo that such a small and seemingly inconsequential quake has caused, but when a region hardly ever has any seismic activity and suddenly does, it's no laughing matter, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a former Californian, I will say that 5.9 is pretty substantial. The strongest I've ever experienced was just over 6, I think. It's pretty disconcerting to feel the ground giving way and see things shifting around!