Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I Ble*w It

(I edited the title because I don't want to be one of the first results [5th] on g00gle for that expression like I am right now :) )

Literally, not figuratively, I destroyed our leaf blower/vacuum today .
:-(

The culprit:









No, not my son. My scarf (hand knit by my beloved grandmother).

Silly me, I let it loose around my neck while I was vacuuming some more leaves in the backyard and the fringe was sucked up by the machine's poor motor which shut off immediately. I opened the thing and got the scarf out (I even cut some of it even though it wasn't really necessary), closed it back up and nothing. K did the same and it won't work. I killed it.

I was so depressed afterwards. K was great, he said that accidents happen, and went outside with the boys in the freezing cold to work on the yard. He bagged two more piles of leaves and hickory nuts (yes, we have a huge tree in our front yard!!) so the city can take them tomorrow. We'll have to tackle the rest of the leaves in this fashion. I so hate to blow 50 perfectly good bucks on this :( Good thing I had at least blown most of the leaves around the house (the wind did spread a lot of them, but not all the piles) and vacuumed several piles.

~ ~~ ~
And today, just because I decided to blog about it yesterday I guess, that little speck, that tiny sliver is almost disappearing from view... we think it's not gonna happen. I shouldn't have given you hope, I spoke too soon. But we'll wait, and wait... for emails, for interviews, for whatever comes. And we MUST start renovating the house although we have little energy (and $) for that. Sorry for being so negative today.

Today's other post may be a little better if you haven't seen it yet.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm glad you weren't hurt (Isadora Duncan) but am sorry that the blower broke. Ummm, do you want to try some feng shui? Sometimes when I feel like there's nothing I can do, I do something around the house to promote feng shui principles and it makes me feel better. I don't know if it works but it makes me feel less hopeless so what the heck, you know? This book is totally Americanized but it's the one my inlaw's loaned me and the one I use: http://www.fengshuipalace.com/fs101/chapter1.shtml

Sometimes lighting a candle in the right place helps me feel like the world is going to give me some good stuff. A crutch it may be but hey, it's worked during some scary times. (Hope this isn't annoying/offensive/ridiculous.)

Libby said...

wait, you have hickory nuts? And you're throwing them out?! They're a lot of work, but oh my goodness are they delicious (think a less-oily, smaller, pecan).

Oh, yes, sorry about the blower. I got distracted, though, by the thought of hickory nuts going to waste. My dad spends hours shelling them every year and I have several pounds of them in my freezer--for Christmas cookies, pies, everything.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the blower and the tiny sliver disappearing. But there will be more of both in your future!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Lilian, I am so sorry you have had a very rough Fall. I haven't been reading blogs since Luke's been out of school, so I had a lot to catch up with. I just wanted to say that I am very, very sorry and I'm thinking about you. Several years ago we went through something similar with Gabe's job and I know it just sucks. But for lots of reasons too numerous to go into now it ended up working out for the best. We couldn't have imagined at the time that it was a blessing in disguise, but it was, and for you this too shall pass. Try to hang in there. Better days are in your future.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Maybe you can get the blower replaced on the warranty. You don't have to tell them it was your scarf's fault, you can just try to return it. I have a B#D leaf vac/mulcher and got it replaced a month before the warranty ran out because it broke. It's worth a try! On the other hand, sometimes just raking and bagging is actually faster. It the leaves are wet they don't go through the machine very well anyway. Good luck with that yard work! Isn't it amazing how endless it is?