Wednesday, January 02, 2013

2013... hmmm?

First, I started writing 1913... wrong century! That's part of the weirdness of being "from last century" like me (until now, most of my life was lived last century, 29 years of it).

Second, it is hard, very very hard to try and look ahead into the next year and think of "big things" when I'm so immersed in the minutiae, the here and now of a road trip and, until yesterday, spending time with wonderful people I love.

Sigh...

It was a wonderful, wonderful trip, no sightseeing whatsoever, just lots and lots of thoughtful conversation, and good, average, but plentiful, and tasty, food. And delicious home-cooked meals too (thanks to Marc & Bev)!

I barely thought, if at all, on what I was missing and of my family in Brazil, particularly my brother and my nephew. That's exactly why I needed this trip.

For 2013 I want surprises. Maybe to travel to Brazil at the end of the year even though it's a really bad time for our family to go (not enough days off and airfare sky-high). Maybe other trips (I'd LOVE to go to New Zealand, meet my nephew and my niece who's coming in April), I don't see how that one is happening, though.

So... I do want to go to Canada for sure and anything else that comes our way (maybe Florida in August?) will be great.

I want to work hard (including teaching in the summer) to begin to pay our debts in earnest.

I don't think I'm going to get the tt job I applied for (MLA interviews begin shortly & I haven't heard anything), but I hope I can remain OK in my current position. I just pray that the person that is hired will be nice to work with (and not much younger and brighter than me, that would be tough, I imagine) so I can keep this job. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

What else? I'm so happy with work and I want it to continue like this. Maybe I'd like to go to another conference this year (having University 1 pay for it, the one in which I only teach one class, they've got money, though, because of all they save with horribly inhumane adjunct workers). OK, I should just stop that, but it's the truth.

It would be great to try to write more academic pieces and send them out, even though with the intense teaching schedule I have, this is really hard. (that's why it's nearly impossible to do "real" academic work without a tenure track job).

Family wise? Well... again, spend more time with my husband and sons. Less time online, particularly now that it's all so easy with a smart phone.

OK, I will try to come back with more new year resolution stuff later. I can hardly believe that my brother is going to have a daughter and I hope everything goes well in this baby's arrival.

I like new years, I just wish that classes didn't start next week already! :-(

No comments: