Wednesday, January 26, 2011

They Weren't Joking When They Said "Conditions Will Quickly Deteriorate"

Forecasters had that warning in the National Weather Service alert page (in the Weather Channel website) and I still worked in my office for a few minutes before I saw heavy snow flakes falling and covering the sidewalks. The boys had no school, but the university was open and I had to go give my students a test. It was raining during the late morning, but by 1:30 pm it was snowing hard. I packed and left quickly, being covered by snow on the way to the parking garage.

It was a long ride home. The 25 usual minutes morphed into an hour, but hopefully there weren't that many cars on the road and I was listening to NPR, which is always sort of comforting. There was that very. slow. pickup. truck. in the last 6 mile stretch which delayed my arrival home a bit more, but it was OK. I even stopped at the grocery store first to get chocolate chips (Linton woke up with this idea of baking chocolate chip cookies).

I read a book to the boys, took a short nap, ate some chocolate and now, while K took the boys outside to shovel a little bit (more for the exercise and the fresh air than for the usefulness of it, since we'll probably have a few more inches before it's all said and done). When the boys come back in we'll drink hot chocolate and bake chocolate chip cookies. Sounds heavenly, no?

I'm thrilled for the first snow day of 2011!! (even though I did have to work) It's finally here!

1 comment:

Rene said...

Snow, hot chocolate, and chocolate chip cookies do sound delightful.

God bless America. ;-)