Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mixed Up Buyers

We're getting to the point in our house-hunting process when looking at houses has become a chore... (sigh!). It obviously is the ultimate chore -- finding a suitable place for one's family to live. It's such a huge responsibility, isn't it? I'm sure we'll be fine in whatever house we decide to buy, but still, making that decision is difficult.

Yesterday I wasn't excited because I had to split my attention between the first day of classes and thinking about houses. My class went well and I was in good spirits when we set out. We got a late start and saw some pretty bad houses (some of them so old, with such uneven, sunken floors that one had the impression to be walking in a floating ship, seriously!). And then we saw this teeny, tiny place (not SO tiny, with a basement, deck and all) that is also hugely cheap and I felt pretty depressed about the prospects of living there. I didn't want to talk to K about houses too much last night.

Then... K spent hours again looking at everything out there. This time using our realtor's website (we had forgotten about it). Well, well, well... he found this amazing house and I'm holding my breath until we see it tomorrow (I hope the realtor was able to schedule it for tomorrow). The crazy thing is...

drumroll...

... this house has a lovely in-ground pool! Isn't that insane?

And it's really big, on lots of land, with nice trees, in a rural area, probably with lovely views. Great square footage, double car attached garage, huge unfinished basement. And affordable price. What's not to like? It is fine as it is (move-in condition), but will benefit from gradual renovations (particularly updating of kitchen, floors, etc).

Anyway. Yeah. That's the latest development. It's been less than 24h since K found the house (I think it was close to midnight when he showed it to me) and I've been feeling more cheerful since he did. I'll let you know how tomorrow's viewings go!

P.S. the builder took that nice house out of the market for a while. Smart guy.

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that the house is just as nice when you see it!