Sunday, November 07, 2010

So it is ILLEGAL to criticize how certain foods are produced in this country, depending on where you live?*/ Monsanto is EVIL

I had to add a new label to the blog after watching Food, Inc. last night: OUTRAGEOUS! I watched it by myself last night and when I woke up this morning the first things I said to K were about it.

Seriously. After I saw it I just want to sit down and cry. You know, this world we live in now is CRAZY. And every day I get more and more convinced that every single aspect of the world we live in is rotten to the core. Because there's no escaping big business. Big business crushing individuals.

I still remember the day -- years ago -- my brother (who is a forest engineer and was a student in the school of agriculture of the University of São Paulo at the time) told me about Monsanto and the patented seeds and how horrified I felt about the idea of a farmer not being able to keep his own seeds. In Food, Inc. they talk about how in a matter of a few years (11, I think) farmers went from being outraged to 90% of them adhering to Monsanto's exigencies and buying their evil super seed. Yikes!

The meat producing parts of the film disgusted me a bit, but since I already am vegetarian, they didn't concern me personally. Everything else upset me, though. And, as I was telling K this morning -- this is NOT the Michael Moore-style appellative documentary. Food, Inc. is almost too low key at times, but it addresses sensitive issues that are extremely serious and haven't been addressed satisfactorily by the government.

To make matters worse, food is probably one more subject in which the recent election will have unfortunate consequences... oh well.

I apologize for these "filler" posts. I have a nagging suspicion that I'll totally blow NaBloPoMo this year... I'm just too tired and uninspired most of the time. And we'll travel to Florida at the end of the month. We'll see.

* I generalized, apparently, it's not so extreme, but the documentary says that in the state of Colorado one can go to jail by criticizing how meat is produced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

incrível !

Leslie M-B said...

Have you read Ruth Ozeki's My Year of Meats or All Over Creation? They're both terrific--the second deals with seeds and agribusiness, and the first with beef. My Year of Meats is among my favorite novels ever. Anyway, if you're interested in food issues, you should definitely check them out.