Tuesday, November 09, 2010

My Open Wound: academia, the (useless) phd, etc. & Animated characters!

Go ahead, skip this post. Nobody likes to look at open wounds, or, do they? Sure, maybe they do in an irresistible attraction to trainwrecks kind of way. I won't write much, though because I can get these Xtra Normal animations to speak for me. So, yeah... a pinch of bitterness for nothing right now (as usual).

The first animation: "So you Want to Get a PhD in the Humanities?" has become ubiquitous in the academic blogland at this point (and elicited several responses, this one which makes graduate student life sound amazingly great -- mine was pretty good, I have to admit -- we had full health benefits, tuition waiver, etc & my husband, in the sciences, traveled a lot). My sister-in-law blogged about this animation today and commented: "My dream is a tragic joke" to which I promptly replied "If your dream is a joke, my life is a joke." And I urged her to learn from others' mistakes.




 Since I've made the mistake alreay, this last video is more on target. It was created by a blogging friend in a similar situation as mine. Adjunct-Mill:

My situation is not that dire just because I do have free access to the photocopier and a small office with two computers shared by only six or seven other adjuncts! ;-) In any case, I shouldn't whine. It's hard, though, quite hard.

4 comments:

Leslie M-B said...

The adjunct life is indeed one of frustration and sometimes downright misery.

The important thing to ask a friend about open wounds (metaphorical or otherwise): "Does this look infected to you?" If yes, definitely get the treatment you need.

L said...

Thanks, Leslie! Important question indeed and... well, no, it's not infected (yet).

What pains me is to be so bothered so early in my "career" as an adjunct. And then, obviously, there is the fact that this "non-job" (and several other factors such as the place itself, quality of life, the kids' school & others) motivated K to decide not to accept the other job. That makes it all more painful, but it does have great potential to heal.

Rene said...

Oh, SIL, your life is not a joke. I laugh (and want to cry) at the video, but ultimately I agree with what Sanity Scout said in response to my post, that the academic career (and all of it's challenges) "is what you make of it and what attitude you choose to take".

And hey, you've got a job! An academic job! I know it's not ideal, but this is still your first semester of teaching post PhD, right? I'm sure there are still plenty of opportunities to advance, so I don't think it's time to laugh at your life just yet. ;-)

t1 Diabetes said...

I agree with the post above. Hugs!