Wednesday, June 13, 2007

On My Way to this Summer's First Conference!

My paper is printed, the power point presentation is ready (I can't present a paper without one, I'm all about the images too :). Now I have to pick the clothes I'm going to wear and stuff them into a bag. I hope we won't leave late because we're staying at a friend's house in Richmond tonight and it's a long trip. We're only spending one night at a hotel close to the conference venue, so we'll be sleeping in 4 different places for 4 nights -- it's hard not to have money. At least it's fun to spend time with friends! :) On Sunday we're going to have a Father's Day celebration at my uncle's house in D.C. and my aunt from Nashville (I stayed at her house at my last conference) is coming, so I think it'll be a really nice day.

If I have time, I'll post from the conference. I don't think there'll be other bloggers there, at least no one I know. The one blogger I really really wanted to see there, Libby, is not going and I feel sad about that :(.

I have to enjoy these last conferences for who knows when I'll be able to go again, at least with an affiliation, instead of the label of "Independent Researcher." That's one of my worries for the next year, finding a way to keep a connection to academia after I finish the Ph.D. That's why I'm not so disappointed I'll remain a student for the TENTH YEAR (awful, I know) -- so I remain anchored somewhere for a little while longer.

3 comments:

Prisca said...

Have a wonderful conference and enjoy some uninterupted academic moments.

I sooooo get the long term student status. I don't like to admit I've been at mine almost 8 years. It'll be 10 before I finish, I bet. You aren't alone!

Libby said...

have a great time, Lilian! Sorry to miss you...

wwwmama said...

Enjoy the conference! I'm close to 10 years too...
And I just read about the house woes. So sorry to hear about that but I believe these things do sort of work out in the end. We're trying to sell our house and it's not selling, and I have come to believe we're meant to be here a bit longer, so it's helping me appreciate all the good things about staying put for a while.