Monday, February 19, 2007

A Day Out in D.C.

We had a good day today. It just wasn't perfect because it was President's day and lots of other people (and children) were out and about in Washington D.C. This sounds a bit selfish, I know, but it's one of the few advantages of being a SAHM* -- we get to enjoy museums and parks in their off peak days and hours, but that wasn't the case today.

Oh, yes, in case you're wondering, the wedding last night was nice, in spite of the weather that suddenly dumped an inch or more of snow right on us (I say that becase the snow was worse where the wedding was, here where my BIL lives there was hardly any)... Driving back to BIL's home was a bit stressful, since there were several accidents on the Beltway. But, back to our day. The boys throughly enjoyed our rides in the metro:
We first went to the National Mall and did quick stops at the Natural History museum (beautiful orchids there!) and National Gallery of Art. I was able to quickly see my beloved French Impressionists, that I hadn't seen live in over 8 years. The boys had fun recognizing the four Monet and Renoir prints that we have on our living room walls (I purchased them back in 1993 when I spent two weeks at my uncle's house getting to know D.C. -- that's why I love this city and its museums so much, it was "my first American city").
Then we went to the Air and Space Museum to have lunch (I forgot to mention that we visited the one close to the airport on Saturday after we dropped of my husband at the airport) and we took the metro again to the National Zoo. There we finally got to meet the baby panda:
The boys fell asleep on the way home (5:40 pm), the youngest in the metro, and the oldest in the car. The little one is still sleeping, but the older woke up and asked me to cook him some pasta, which I did, and now he's eating it. We need to go to bed right now, because tomorrow morning, really early, we have to drive to the airport... So I'll talk to you later!

* "Stay at Home Mom" for those not familiar with this pathetic acronym. I don't even know why I use this expression (I don't like it)... but I chose to do so today.

7 comments:

wwwmama said...

I'm so impressed with how much you can do with two kids! Some days it's all I can do to drag my daughter to the grocery store a few blocks away to get more milk. Part of it is the weather though. I always want to hibernate in the winter.

Juliet said...

I'm jealous! I love D.C. and the surrounding area. My uncle lives in Silver Spring, MD, and I have many happy memories of riding the metro and seeing th sites.

Lilian said...

What a coincidence, Juliet, my uncle lives in the Silver Spring area too (only a bit further North, but his mailing address is Silver Spring)!

Aliki2006 said...

Sounds so wonderful! We go to the DC area a few times a year and I'm always so bummed that we hardly get to do any sightseeing. We spend most of the time with my parents and then the weekend is gone.

I'm longing to take the kids to the Washington DC zoo this summer.

Code Yellow Mom said...

I live here, too (and my boys are the same age as yours!!) You are right - it's really a kid friendly city, but so much better to go on the less busy days. Love the pictures and the metro and the museum - so fun to "run into" a mom who does the same kinds of things as I do. I'll be back to visit your blog again!

Juliet said...

Hey, maybe one day we can meet up there while we visit family. That would be awesome!

Alice said...

Thanks for putting a smile on my face! We used to live in College Park for a while so we visited DC regularly. It's been a long time ...