Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"We're a Culture, Not a Costume" Campaign

Last year I linked to this campaign from students at Ohio State, so I want to do the same this year (scroll down for last year's posters).

I don't like or celebrate Halloween, but I agree wholeheartedly with their campaign. I am also aware, however, that it's very hard to tell where to "draw the line" because if one thinks about costumes critically there are many other ones that could be accused of racism, "classism," perhaps ageism, etc.

It would be easier if this holiday's celebrations were mostly restricted to children dressing up as more "innocent" things (such as cartoon characters, animals, monsters) and didn't also involve young adults, who are the ones who end up promoting the culturally offensive "costumes."

Just a thought...

No comments: