Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Honeymoon's Over, but I'm Still in Love

I was walking on air those first days and weeks, I really was.

I returned to earth slowly, but surely.... but all I can say is that I'm still very much in love with my new job.

I couldn't be happier and I don't mind the drive at all! So, I hope to keep on working there for the foreseeable future. I have decided to apply for the job, but I'm hoping to continue working there even if I don't get in. I'm trying to prepare psychologically for that.

I'm also thinking that if I do get the job, by any chance, I will no longer be using my first name in the blog. I know that my first name name will still be associated with this blog in comments left all over the blogosphere, but I'm hoping that if I delete all photos in which I appear and no longer use my first name in the blog itself I'll feel a bit "safer" for having a "true" academic position and being a long time semi-academic blogger who's written a lot about her academic experiences. What do you think?


There's another "honeymoon" that is over. This one lasted for nearly two years and it's our relationship with our church. I think we can also say that we still love it, but now things are changing a bit, e.g. they no longer have a second, more contemporary service, and we need to get to church at 9:30 am, an hour earlier than in the past two years.

K has also been nominated as a leader and now he is learning all  about the "behind the scenes" stuff and church politics and those aren't always agreeable things (though nothing can compare to the negative experiences we had for several years in Philadelphia). We're here to stay, though, so I think it was about time we got more involved in leadership. It was good to take an almost two year break from that, after doing way too much in church for the past 14 years, that's for sure!

These two things, our work and our church family, are really important to us, so feels good to truly enjoy both (K is doing extremely well in his work, I need to blog about that separately at some point). I hope it continues this way!

No comments: