Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Sad First: Store bought cake

We have a birthday party tomorrow and I can't believe I'm not totally-completely freaking out. Actually, this post's topic is one of the reasons... (sigh).

If you're a longtime reader, you'll know that I'm a "from scratch" baking and cooking person. By principle and also because of my family history and culture (most people cook/bake from scratch in Brazil). Anyway... That's not going to happen tomorrow because my younger son specifically told me that he does not like my cake(s) and told me that he wanted a store bought cake. (sigh again).

I know that for some of you this must be a silly thing to be sad about, but for me... well... it is sad. It's part of life as an expatriate, too. The request for the store-bought cake demonstrates that my son identifies more with his friends and the culture he's inserted in than with his family's values. This is natural, I totally get it. And it is also a matter of taste, since my son is not a big sweets person and not a cake eater.

My nine year old hypothesized that what in fact is going on is that his brother wants a cake that his friends are going to like, but I'm not sure this is the case.

the only bad thing about this story is that I didn't order the cake until Friday afternoon (when I took the birthday boy to town and he picked the cake he wanted), so I have to go there to pick it up tomorrow morning...

The truth is that I am immensely relieved that I don't have to deal with baking and frosting, particularly frosting (YUCK! My sons don't like frosting either, phew!).

There is another "first" about our party tomorrow, but I can't even remember what it is. Let's see if I do until tomorrow. ;)

1 comment:

Sarah Sometimes said...

Hey Lilian--hope the party went well. Thanks for your comment at my place, and yes, I hope we can get together when you come to Big City! xoxo