Thursday, February 25, 2010

Driving in Bad Weather

K is still driving back home from his interview and it's taking him longer again, because of the weather. It's not as bad as the forecasts anticipated. They said there was going to be quite a bit of snow, but so far there's NO accumulation here whatsoever, in spite of the fact it's been snowing non-stop since the early morning.

Last night when I talked to K about the forecast I told him I thought he should drive straight home this morning (and not visit our graduate institution as he wanted), but he said he should do it and that he'd be actually glad to drive through a storm again. He cheerfully reminded me that "Whenever I drive through a snowstorm to an interview I have an offer" (right, this happened once, and it was on the way there, not coming from there!). And then I reflected that in fact he had trouble driving to all three interviews (only minor problems last Sunday, congested roads that meant a delay and no more dinner with a faculty member).

I'm just "superstitiously" wondering now... should I take the relative lack of snow today as a sign that maybe there won't be an offer from the elite school? I mean, we're not counting on that or anything and there are several reasons why that wouldn't be good,* but still, it's funny to think of these "signs."
* First and foremost, the insane conditions for getting tenure, which would take a big toll on our family. Second, I think we'd prefer living in the VA university region. Other than that, it'd be awesome in most other ways.

I'm glad he's coming back and I'm secretly hoping there won't be any more interviews. Being the only parent at home is just TOO MUCH when the kids are also doing school at home. I have to brace myself, though, because in two weeks he'll be away for a whole week again. Booo! I don't know how I'll survive.

P.S. I have to post photos and videos of the boys' ski day yesterday, it was AWESOME!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crossing fingers for your family, Lilian.