Friday, September 11, 2009

Potatoes Last Several Months in a Darkened Fridge

They really do. I was able to verify this fact last weekend and I felt pretty sad about it. You see, in the last week of May my in-laws left their apartment for what they thought would be a quick, ten day stay in Brazil. However, because of a misunderstanding regarding their visa renewal and the unwillingness (or incompetence) of my father-in-law's employer, they are still there, over three months later.

We stayed at their apartment last weekend when we traveled to Massachusetts and while it was convenient to be able to stay there, we missed them keenly. And what's worse is that if the employer (my FIL is a pastor) doesn't act quick, they might just not be coming back to live here anymore because my FIL is retiring soon and he can resign from his job here if it looks like they don't want him back. That's what made/makes me pretty sad. It's been three years since they moved to the U.S. and although we don't see them as much as we would like to, being 6-7 hours away by car is infinitely better than being nine long flight hours and over nine thousand miles apart.

We fully emptied their fridge (it had already been partly emptied by my youngest BIL who had been there in June) and I brought the potatoes home in the cooler, surprised that they still looked pretty edible. I used them to make some soup on Tuesday night (MIL's recipe, BTW, heart of palm soup -- you can let her know, sis)  and thought of writing this post. The soup tasted good, but the prospect of them leaving doesn't. They were planning to move back to Brazil in December anyway, but if they don't come back to the U.S. (they'd have to get another visa to come and ship their belongings, at least), it will feel pretty strange... Leaving in such strange circumstances. It may be best for them just remain in Brazil because if they come back they might end up being here through the end of next year. My father-in-law gets really depressed in winter, poor thing, so two more winters (even if only part of one next year) might be too much for him to bear, particularly now that they own an apartment in one of the most beautiful Northeastern coastal city in the Brazil, Maceio (photo worth clicking).

I guess that instead of mourning the loss of them here and their (rental) apartment in Massachusetts I should be looking forward to visiting their new apartment in Brazil, right? Throw away the potatoes, bring in the refreshing coconut water!! Yeah, that makes much more sense... :-)

No comments: