Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Keep on Trying, I Guess I'll Never Give up!

I just sent an abstract for an academic conference presentation in Montreal next year (see, I have a brother-in-law who lives in Montreal, I only go to conferences in places where I have a free place to stay and where I can usually go with my family).

I wasn't going to do it, but then I started thinking of how my paper could really be a contribution and the academic bug bit me again, so I went ahead with it. I wrote an abstract in less than half an hour (it was due today and I just sent it 3 minutes before midnight), but it was only 150 words. I need to send a 500 words one and I told them I'm doing that tomorrow -- I hope they don't mind!

One of my biggest problems is that I keep presenting at conferences (I really enjoy that), but I don't publish anything! BLAH!!! I wish I could be more sanguine about getting my stuff together and DOING IT. My three publications are stupid because they were mostly requested papers, not really blindly peer reviewed thingies. And I have this huge pile of papers from presentations that could be polished and sent out for publication, only I never do it.

Another thing I should be doing/ have done is querying possible publishers in Brazil to get my dissertation published. I don't think it'd be that hard.

And then there's the website. I really want to put most of my dissertation into a website, but that costs some MONEY! And it involves technology skills that I don't have and can't afford to pay anyone to do for me. :-(

Will I ever give up? Or will the flame die one day. In short 8 months the dissertation will be TWO YEARS OLD and past its expiration date (Nah, not really).

Well, OK, let me publish this and try to go back to our doctor's appointment story... Sigh.

The Mother and the Academic, the mother always wins, right? But the academic is pretty persistent...

4 comments:

diber said...

It's great that you sent something!

I totally understand about just DOING it. I just don't, and then feel miserable for not. It's hard to step back into the saddle when your whole surroundings just don't inspire that kind of productivity. It's hard being totally removed from the community.

t1 Diabetes said...

look at this website: jshomeschool.com it costs 10/year. I did it for our homeschool co-op. I can help you with yours if you want to... hugs. ps. I've been reading all our blogs and just don't have time to comment properly, but hugs and prayers!

fosterhood said...

It's a bit ironic that out of all of your posts, I stumble here... I'm creating my powerpoint for another conference talk and I was just thinking too that I should be publishing and not presenting. But then, I'd rather bake cookies. Sigh...

The Golden Papaya said...

At least you are presenting at conferences. That in itself is nothing to sneeze at.
Maybe not the best place to introduce myself, but couldn't find your email on your site.
I'm glad to have found your blog. Looks like we have a fair amount in common (or mirror-image, or something...) I recently moved from suburban Philly to Brazil with my family, though I long ago left my Ph.D. dreams behind.
I'm blogging at www.thegoldenpapaya.com. Find me there, or send an email, if you're so inclined: estanford1@yahoo.com
I'm adding your blog to my blogroll, would be flattered if you decide to do the same.
Sorry about the long note here--hope to be in touch!