Friday, January 04, 2008

The Quickest Aging Ever :) -- An Update on My Grandma

(I know... three posts in a day is a bit too much. I actually wanted to write a fourth, but I'll keep that one for another time.)

I learned today from my mom that there's a possibility that my paternal grandmother may be older than her birth-certificate declares she is. The source is not entirely reliable merely for the fact that he's so much younger than her and was not around when she was born, but her younger brother (only a few of years older than my dad, his nephew) claims that grandma's father only got her birth certificate when she was already two years old. If this is true, she'll be almost 98 years old and not 96 on her birthday later this month.
Well, it doesn't really matter if she's 96 or 98, it's still a great feat to be alive at such an age. We're elated that she recovered remarkably well and what saved her life was the fact that she was at a private hospital, the best in the city, receiving top care. It's going to be quite hard for the family to pay all the hospital bills (thankfully six of her eight children are splitting the costs), but if it means she will suffer less and die more peacefully and comfortably, it's entirely worth it. Last week, after the results of her tomography were in, her doctors aspirated over a quart (one liter) of water from her lungs and she began to feel much better. She's been home for a few days now and the physical therapy and nebulizer treatments are keeping her breathing normal. I wonder now when the next problem will come and I just pray that she doesn't suffer. I wish the boys and I could see her again, but that may not happen. Well, who knows? She may live until she's 100!

P.S. Linton is sick again with a fever. We're not out of the woods yet. :(

2 comments:

Prisca said...

What a lovely picture of your family! 96 or 98 she still IS remarkable. I hope she is resting comfortably.

Good wishes to Linton. I hate it that you are still having to deal with this.

Aliki2006 said...

I love that picture!