Tuesday, February 27, 2007

New (Industrial) Developments!!

(first, don't forget to check the previous post that I wrote this morning. I'd appreciate your feedback)

No, there haven't been any job offers yet... but, something very exciting is going on.

It happened so quickly we can hardly believe it's real! Last Wednesday my husband (let's call him K form now on, OK?) saw a job announcement at a pharmaceutical industry which happens to be in the region where we live. Coincidentally, we have a friend who works there and on Thursday K contacted him. On Friday, our friend emailed K's resume to the hiring manager, also leaving a voice-mail and saying very good things about K.

Yesterday morning, K opened his email and... lo and behold, there was an email from the hiring manager scheduling a phone interview for today at noon. The phone interview went GREAT and K now has an on-site interview in two weeks. With the director of research, who's coming from the U.K. WOW! (I find this is all very interesting, eerily connected to the new "industrial developments" that have been happening to Articulate Dad as well).

And K's lab mate (who also happens to be from Brazil), the one who had 5 interviews, received THREE job offers today, three!!! (since he's not one of us and you don't know his background, I'll say where: Emory, Duke, and Boulder).

Amazing, huh? Well, decisions will have to be made. I hope it's soon our turn!

9 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

First off...something screwy is going on with your comments and I keep getting a funny window pop up when I click the "comment" link--I don't know if you can fix this?

Congrats to your husband on all these developments! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll post some thoughts here on your previous post, since the "comments" link is acting oddly...I'm so amazed that you were able to sit down and articulate all these character "issues" which are obstacles to your completion of the dissertation. I have suspected many of these things in myself but haven't had the courage (or patience) to sit down and commit them to paper, so to speak. Are there ways in which you can turn those around to work in your favor? I don't have suggestions how, and I'm sure I would be curious to read your feedback. I think I have concluded for myself that life has just grown over my dissertation project, kind of the way a scab grows over a wound (bad analogy). I am so busy with my life now and with all the twists and wonderful turns it has taken that it would take a superhuman effort on my part to pry away the layers of new skin and get at the original project.

Sigh.

Lilian said...

Oh, Aliki, the funny popup is the "Snap preview" that I have installed in my site. It's great for the links, but kind of annoying for the blogroll and comment links, since it sometimes prevents one from clicking on them. You just have to point the mouse again and click immediately.

Sorry about that! (But I'm glad I found out what the problem is pretty quickly!)

Anonymous said...

WOAH! Congratulations on this new door of possibility! I hope you get to stay in the area. I haven't met you yet! (But thesis is almost done. Which is only a stupid little master's thesis.)

Keiko said...

Uopa!Que legal!!! Tomara que de tudo certo...o que tiver de ser será!

Rene said...

Yeah! How exciting! My K just told me the good news a few minutes ago, and I was sure you would soon be writing a post about it. We'll be praying for you and waiting for an update.

Alice said...

What a wonderful opportunity! I hope this works out! Good luck and keep us updated!!

kate said...

Wow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! (Do you have that expression or gesture in Portuguese???)

Laura said...

I hope it works out! Good Luck.

Answering Kate question, yes, in Portuguese we have an expression and gesture with the same meaning. We call it "fazer figas!!". In Brazil I don't know if they say it the same way.

ArticulateDad said...

Ich drücke euch die daum!