Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Coming and Going

I was away from the blog in the last few days because last Thursday my husband decided that it would be a good idea to visit his parents this past weekend. So we left for Massachusetts on Saturday afternoon and returned last night at midnight. We love to do impromptu things like that, and, needless to say, we're really used to road trips, so a 5 hour drive is almost "nothing" to us. I don't think we'll be doing that again, but years ago we drove for 14-16 hours three times to go from Massachusetts to Michigan to visit my brother- and sister-in-law, twice on Thanksgiving weekend. Good thing they live in Maryland now!

Anyway... some things that have been happening here lately and that I want to blog about:

- Last Friday, for the first time since we bought our first computer in 1998, we had water spill on the keyboard (my oldest son was playing nearby and had just brought some water to me), and it's not working anymore, so I only have the laptop until we can get a new keyboard. I was very happy that this happened because it's the same keyboard from 1998 -- we never replaced it, even though the CPR and the monitor are gone now (more about the monitor at another post). It still worked OK, but the little "feet" that prop it up would often slip and it would lie flat on the desk, which annoyed me.

- My husband is traveling to Brazil again for two days.

- My parents renewed their U.S. visa yesterday and if their passports get back until Saturday, they're getting here a week from today. They're coming for my "final push" to get the Ph.D. More on that on subsequent posts.

- We've had some new ideas regarding options for my husband's future job and career and we're getting happier with the options that we may have.

- My almost 5 year old son is getting interested in writing, so I want to scan some of his writing for you to see.

Oh, and for those of you who have been concerned with his bad dreams, he's had very good nights lately and this morning he told us that he dreamed for the first time with his latest obsession: Bob the Builder. If it makes him happy -- good thing! I have to remember to tell you later a dream related anecdote about him. Remind me, OK?

- I have to tell you more about our visit to some of our "old haunts" in Massachusetts yesterday.

I guess that's it... I have to cook something for dinner, so I have to go.

Oh, yes, it's finally snowing and it's so pretty out there. The boys played outside in the snow for a while this afternoon. Too bad it's going to turn into freezing rain...

6 comments:

Keiko said...

Lilian,
que bom que as coisas estão entrando nos eixos...e força,vc vai terminar sua tese!(certo?)

O Klebert vai pro Brasil por 2 dias!!! Que canseira! Mas que delícia, sinal que ítens do "kit de sobrevivência" podem ser repostos, hein?

bjinho pra vcs,
Keiko

Laura said...

I'm glad things are starting to work out for you and that you are considering other options. Keep trying (that's what I try to say to myself!).
Snow...here we have no snow(only in Serra da Estrela) therefore we never get to see it. Que inveja!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I'm glad the dreams are better today! I was going to comment on that post but I got interrupted... My son has night fears too and it is so upsetting. You feel so helpless when you can't make it better for them. It sounds like you handle it really well, talking to him about it and letting him have his own emotions (not trying to fix it for him).

Keep expecting great things on the job front! It's going to work out well for you, I just know it.

I have a snow day today and don't have to drive in the ice - YAY!

Juliet said...

hehe I know what you mean. When our old computer decided to die on us last fall, we were so happy, because it gave us the excuse we needed to buy a new one.

It sound like you are going to have a lot to blog about in future posts. I can't wait! I am especially interested in the dream posts, as dreams fascinate me!

Ana said...

I'm glad things are looking good for you, especially the good nights part, which is waht I'm lacking right now, with the kids being sick and all.
Anyway, I can see a bunch of blog posts building up here! Can't wait to read them all.

Lauren D. McKinney said...

Lilian,

With all this foreshadowing about a dissertation post coming in the near future, I'm on pins and needles. Out with it, girlfriend.