Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sick in Chicago

Yes, guess what, during the last 2 hours of our 10 hour and a half flight I started feeling a bit sick. For the first time in my life I vomited in a bag, and it was not in the airplane either, it was after I had already gone through immigration, put 5 heavy bags (the heaviest two had almost 62 pounds each) and 2 carseats on two carts and gone through customs and then re-checked the luggage, when we were waiting for the airport train that took us to terminal 1. It was not that bad either. I survived. And once we were actually airborne, out of Chicagoland I started feeling much better. It was probably something I ate in the plane (I did eat a lot). Otherwise the trip was excellent, uneventful. We left Brazil at 1o pm and the boys slept before dinner was served and through most of the flight. They woke up quite early, I would guess 2-3 am Chicago Time (6-7 am in Brazil, which is the time they actually woke up there too), and then it was hard to keep them busy during those last hours of flight and when we arrived in Chicago (before 5 am) because by then Linton was getting sleepy again and very cranky. Oh, and of course he nursed all night long and I barely slept (partly because I decided to watch a movie, corny but interesting, Where the Heart Is (with Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd).

Anyway, here I am, left to consider one more time how TINY our house is. It is very cozy, and I enjoy stepping on soft carpet after walking on tiled floor for all of my stay in Brazil (more on Brazilian houses later, at least I hope to post more on Brazil in the upcoming days), but it is extremely small. When I got to Brazil in December this was one of the first things my mom said about the boys - they were happy there, she pondered, because they were enjoying all the room to run and play (in spite of the fact that there were less toys). Here they're cooped up, and I guess they just get tired of their toys. Of course right now they're really enjoying the house and the toys, they've been playing non-stop since we arrived, that is, Linton napped for 1 hour (me too) and Kelvin for almost 4 hours. I already did one load of laundry (my poor husband, the other traveller in the family, was running out of underwear and other clothes), and removed the suitcases from the living room (no, I did not unpack the clothes, only the food and books I brought (which was a lot). I also made bread in the bread machine (Dawn's/This Woman's Work recipe, I should link to it sometime).

OK. More later. Let me know if you have any questions. (I do feel terrible because I never answered Alice's question about Brazilian Christmas and New Year's - I still want to answer, OK? It was just very rough to blog from Brazil - I'm sorry about that Alice!).

Edited to add: I flew to Chicago then took a connecting flight to Philly. I did start feeling better in the second flight, thankfully.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Lilian, PLEASE don't worry about this!! It's really not that important and that question just popped into my mind at the spur of the moment and I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned it just now.

Whew, what a trip you've had! How do you manage to survive it ?!? I admire you for traveling alone with your two children. I don't think I'd have the courage to do so myslf ...

Rene said...

Hello Cunada,

I'll bet you didn't really think that I was paying attention, or that I'd actually check your blog once I got home, but this is my second time to visit now! And, you and a few others have inspired me to revisit the blog I started here last May (under my middle name). I even took the time to post a few random thoughts and I think I would like to make blogging a more permanent habit. So thanks for unknowingly inspiring me. Let's try to stay in touch.

Alisha

Juliet said...

So, are you in chicago now? What a coincidence! I live very close to Chicago. It's a small world after all! :-)
Sorry you got sick, though. :-(