Monday, August 05, 2013

Brazilian Prison Inmates Knit & Crochet for Fashion Designer

A friend just posted a link in facebook to this surprising article from the Daily Mail that features the initiative of the high-end fashion designer Raquell Guimarães to teach inmates in a high security prison to knit (which in Portuguese is called by the French "tricot") and to crochet.

For each period three days working, one day is deducted from their sentence! The brand is called Doiselles (which means "two Ls," spelled with ll, of course) and the initiative Flor de Lótus (Lotus Flower). The inmates are also paid for their work and part of their earnings are deposited in an account to be withdrawn when they are released.

According to Raquell, the reason why she turned to prison inmates is that nowadays it's hard to find people who still know how to knit (especially in Brazil, I suppose). If she didn't find people to learn the art and work for her, she would have been unable to have her fashion label.

Pretty fascinating. I LOVE crocheted & knit clothes and Doisélles's clothing is amazing, but even if I could afford them (I most certainly can't), I don't know how I'd feel about the way it was produced. I think it's a good thing, quite daring and unusual, though. What do you think?


Here's a video about the Lotus Flower Project:


Lotus Flower Project from doisélles on Vimeo.

Oh, OK, and there's more!! For this year's winter collection she used materials that are industrial refuse, thus making clothes in a sustainable manner (basically recycling materials), see here:


Winter Collection 2013 - Doisélles from doisélles on Vimeo.

Fascinating, huh?

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

Thanks for the post!

I have to admit, I'm a fan. After living in drug/crime-ridden neighborhoods in both New Orleans and Phllly, I think the biggest "problem" is the inability of young men to self-project a better life. (I think women are different somewhat, because I think bearing a child forces you at some level to see beyond your own life.)
They assume they will die by 25. If they're not dead by 25, they're probably in prison or on their way there. so they live in such a way that their life is disposable. And society treats them like trash to be thrown out. I find it interesting that Raquell is also interested in using recycled material. What she's doing is also recycling lives in a way. And I think she does it in a way that brings the inmates a lot of dignity.

Heidi said...

Oh, my reaction to the program is so complicated! I see so many pros and coins, but I think overall...what a great idea! Learning skills and putting in a good day of work is a wonderful idea.