Friday, June 07, 2013

Back to Flikr & Concerns about Blog Anonymity

I was thrilled to find out that Flikr is now offering 1 terabyte of storage space!

I stopped using Flikr long ago, back in 2006, because I refused to pay for the service (yes, I am cheap like that, sigh...). I can't believe that I had to wait seven years to finally go back! Sigh... I still kept the sidebar slide show for a long time here on the blog and only removed it last year (because of anonymity concerns).

And now comes the tough situation of wondering again whether I should connect my blog to Flikr or to have separate accounts and create a new Flikr account for the blog.

I wish with all my heart that I didn't have to blog (semi-)anonymously, but I just can't do it under my own name. :( My situation is still extremely precarious work-wise and with all that I've written on the blog over the years and which I hope to never have to delete or hide, it is unwise use my name.

And, of course, my husband doesn't want people to find him through my blog or the other way around, that was the first reason that kept me semi-anonymous. (it's only at times such as these that I wish I hadn't taken my husband's last name. Otherwise I'm OK with it).

Sigh...

I love taking photos and sharing them on my blog, but I just can't risk being found, so I need to be more selective with the photos I post. I'm actually surprised that I never had anyone try to search for the "real me" like I successfully did long ago with Jo(e) and Pithy Dithy. The truth is that I haven't been uncovered because very few people read my blog and those that do know who I am because we're also in touch in facebook and via email at times. In any case, this is oneof the advantages of having a little, unknown blog...

Regarding photos on the blog and online, the fact that Google now has image search freaks me out quite a bit and maybe the best think to do would be to delete all photos that have my face on the blog even though this would mean deleting my very first post... (big sigh again) 

I have already logged into my old Flikr account and fiddled with my 306 photos there, but I probably won't be linking that account to the blog again and I will have to delete all images that have previously appeared on the blog if I decide to use my name for that account...

Such a hassle! In any case my worries and concerns are very small compared to people who are actually "famous" in blogland. That's one of the advantages of being unknown. That and the comparative lack of trolls and vitriolic criticism.

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I was anonymous when I first began blogging, but I think now pretty much everyone knows my real name. Or they could figure it out pretty easily.

That's one of the reasons I don't talk much about my husband on my blog. Luckily, he's got a different last name than I do, so only people who know us would ever connect him to my blog.

I still don't put pictures with faces on my blog, but at this point, it's tradition more than anything else.

jo(e) said...

I was anonymous when I first began blogging, but I think now pretty much everyone knows my real name. Or they could figure it out pretty easily.

That's one of the reasons I don't talk much about my husband on my blog. Luckily, he's got a different last name than I do, so only people who know us would ever connect him to my blog.

I still don't put pictures with faces on my blog, but at this point, it's tradition more than anything else.