Monday, November 12, 2012

Hitting the Exhaustion Wall: 3 naps in 4 days

I'm hitting the exhaustion wall.

My days are intense:

Before 3:30 pm today I had already driven 152 miles, taught three classes, had lunch with department colleagues, picked up my kids and a neighbor in school and come back home.

But then, I had to take a nap because the last four days (late Thursday last week to today) were CRAZEEE!!

It's not the driving and teaching (and all the grading that I am NOT doing because of all the other stuff), it's the other commitments in our lives

... such as having the house appraised -- it went well, BTW, the appraiser stayed for about half an hour, K had the chance to brag as much as he could about the location of the house, etc and the things we did to it, such as replace the water heater and the roof of the shed. The appraiser even asked what the bank needed it to appraise for. I don't know if he can help us with that or not, though!
... and helping organize a bridal and (co-ed) wedding shower.
... and taking the kids to a 4 hour long Fall festival and going to an hours long practice of the church outdoor Christmas play.

Well, shall I itemize the naps?
- I don't know if the first one counts, but I took a nearly 2 hour nap in the middle of the night from Thursday to Friday (roughly from midnight to 2 am) so I could continue helping K to clean the house and, alternately, try to do some work on the job application or teaching.

- I should have napped on Saturday, but I was unable to because we were planning the activity of that night -- an all-girl spa night for the bride-to-be. I was skeptical (I tend to prefer co-ed activities), but it wasn't bad! We still decorated the wedding shower venue and I came home at 1 am. Well... when I finally went to bed at 2 am, K woke up and we talked until 4:30 am (and got up at 8 the next morning)!! It was a great an exciting conversation (some politics too) that ruined the rest of K's night and that required that I take a nap on Sunday afternoon before trying to write some application materials. I napped while K took the boys to the Fall Festival -- I was really sad to miss it, but I had to so I could go to the rehearsal later.

- And today I needed to nap because I couldn't do anything, really, I had to fight sleepiness on my drive to work AND back... sigh. Obviously part of my nap was spent trying to hear if my sons were doing the right songs on the piano and screaming for them to do their homework and even correcting math problems, but then they settled down with the ipad and I slept in peace for a while.

Wish me luck finishing the application materials. And my students are going to have to be very patient because I'm SUPER behind on the grading!

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

Wow, that's a busy life. I hope you get caught up with sleep over the holidays.