Friday, May 07, 2010

A Simple (Yet Complex) Wish

A while back when I talked to my friend Zee and read some of her posts about photography, I sadly realized that we don't have a "real" photo camera.

Back when film was the norm we did have a bare bones, but decent camera, a Pentax K1000 with a good lens and we took some great photos with it.

Then when we switched to digital back in the good old days of 2003, in spite of the fact that I was aware that digital photos couldn't compare to "real" ones, I didn't know that there could be better digital cameras, i.e. SLR (single lens reflex) cameras. We chose a model with a good lens and I thought that was it, but now that digital SLR cameras are easily available, I know that we really should have one so we can take "decent" photos. Sigh.

Too bad we can't afford one. I just hope our hand-me-down camera lasts until we can be able to get a new one. And I'm talking to K about not getting birthday presents so we can try and save until the end of the year, so hopefully we can get one for Christmas. (problem is, we haven't been giving each other birthday presents for years now, with some excuse or another that in the end never gets fulfilled. sigh).

I still love to take photos, even with my humble "point and shoot" camera.

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

That's a gorgeous photo! It's the person behind the camera, not the camera, that makes for good photography.

Lilian said...

Thanks, Jo(e)! You're most certainly right (being a prime example of that yourself, with your wonderful photos), but there are certain kinds of photos that can only be taken with a SRL camera. ;-)

kate said...

I also love your photos, digital camera or not!

Leslie M-B said...

Your photos are lovely. We bought a digital SLR after the boy was born because we wanted higher-resolution photos of him and our other camera was clearly on its way out. We could barely afford it, but we had a gift certificate to Costco, and they had just lowered their prices on the Canon Rebel XT. You might check on their prices from time to time--the discount was more than worth the cost of membership.