Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My "Baby" Will Need to Wear Glasses!

Not only that, but the vision on his left eye is so bad (3.5 both astigmatism and nearsightedness) that he may need to wear an eye-patch for a while so the eye can adjust to working again. I think we never suspected anything because vision on his right eye is nearly perfect, and it masked the problem.

I'm relieved that I decided to take them to the optometrist just to make sure everything was OK. The doctor has a sophisticated machine (he got it 2 weeks ago, he says) that can scan their eyes and come up with the prescription so he used that (twice, the second time after the pupil was dilated). It was hard, however for Linton to respond in the regular exam as to which lens was better, that's how the doctor concluded the his left eye is a bit "lazy" right now. I hope that doesn't bring problems for later. Any advice or stories from those of you whose children wear glasses will be appreciated! And please no horror stories about how many pairs of glasses will be lost or destroyed and how much we'll spend on this (just kidding! Bring 'em on!). I've got to get prepared for this.

Now, we know who the genetic "culprit" is for this -- daddy wore glasses since he was three and has very strong astigmatism. I'm a bit sad, but I think that Linton will handle it just fine. As long as we buy the glasses he picks. ;-) (he has already decided he wants a pair of blue ones we saw at BJ's. We'll see about that!)

P.S. I thought we might have a photo of very young K with glasses, but we don't, only of him at around 10 years old, and I'd have to ask his permission to post that, so, no photo of K for now.

3 comments:

Oonie said...

My husband rocked the eye patch in the early 70s as well. No lasting harm to his baby blues!

klj said...

As a mom to a very athletic and active boy, I highly recommend a pair of sports goggles in addition to regular glasses. My son wears them when he has gym or is in the middle of an intense soccer game at recess. Actually there are now 4 boys running around his school with them on at least some of the time.

Zee said...

Oh wow, he is so handsome! What a gorgeous kid you have!
Well, I have horror stories from my stepdaughter, Lol!
It's time to test Daniel's eyes. My husband is totally blind without glasses. Life without it is very blurry for him!