Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year Meme

As seen at This Woman's Work, thanks Dawn! And Happy New Year, everyone!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

I got a PhD, does that count?
Became an official immigrant, a resident of this country!!

2. Did you keep your New Years’ Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Hmm, I kept some of them, not that they were actual "resolutions," I wish I'd been able to do more. I think I will make an exception and and make more more next year (sigh).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My youngest nephew was born on my birthday and my favorite cousin and his wife had a baby daughter, but I haven't met the baby yet.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yes, my grandma, on Dec. 23. just last week.

5. What countries did you visit?

Brazil (as usual :)

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

Like Dawn, more money, that I earn with my own work too.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

The day we submitted my dissertation only five minutes before the deadline, April 30. It was very unreal, having been up for so many hours, stressing out like never before in my life, and finally having suceeded, literally at the last minute. yikes.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

The PhD? Getting the greencard wasn't a real "achievement," but it still was something incredibly significant.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Hmmm... so far failing in the online teaching gig for being late with feedback. Hopefully I'll come around.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

No, but K had an appendectomy!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I don't know...

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
not mine! ;-). K, I think, who delivered a big surprise for our anniversary and is always so patient with me.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
The McCain campaign.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Home renovations (not my money, "ours," i.e. my husband earned it, I wasn't working yet... :-( ).

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

The home renovations? (although the expenses take an edge off the excitement).

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I really don't know.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Hmmm... happier overall, less worried about the future.
ii. thinner or fatter? Same, maybe a tiny bit fatter 'cause I'm on vacation now ;).
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer, but hopeful.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I don't know!

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Home with in-laws, brother-in-law's family, K's cousin and his wife.

21. What LJ users did you meet?
I’ll amend this to other bloggers. No new ones in 2008, unfortunately, but I hope that in 2009 this will change.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fall in love with K again all the time.

23. How many one-night stands?
[I'll second Dawn on this one:] This is for the younger blogging set, isn’t it?

24. What was your favourite TV program?
Saturday Night Live and portions of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report that K would show me online.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nah, I don't think so. I don't really hate anybody.

26. What was the best book you read?
I read so few! Most were books that publishers sent me for review. I liked The Self-Esteem Trap (I've wanted to blog about it for a while).

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
?

28. What did you want and get?
The PhD? ;-D , a job, even if low paying and part time.

29. What did you want and not get?
The fellowship.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Once -- although it's a film from 2007 I only saw it this year, at the eeriest of situations: on the car, at night, while we were driving up to MA for my commencement.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
The day itself was low-key, I was at my BIL's house and we came back home that night. In the following weekend I threw a big party (celebrating my graduation too).

32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hmmm... having mor money so we didn't have debt now.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Same as usual, cute, comfortable, clothes that 'look like me.'

34. What kept you sane?

My ability to relax and disconnect from the stress.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Barack Obama!

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
All issues during the election.

37. Who did you miss?
My brother. I always miss him because I only see him every two years now that he became a globe-trotter.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Our friends Keyla and Paulo. I'm just so glad they moved here from CA!

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Try to have a positive attitude, work harder (I still really haven't learned it, but I'm trying too -- online thing).

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

If I find out, I'll add it later.

No comments: