Friday, January 23, 2009

Blogging in Bed

We've had laptops for years now and a wireless connection for several years too, but I don't recall ever having blogged from bed. Or even worked from bed or our bedroom. For some reason I always use(d) the desktop. I have rarely surfed the web and read blogs, but I think that the last post was one of the very first ones (if not the first) that I wrote from bed. Perhaps this was so because when I was working on the dissertation, coming to bed was getting away from work and I didn't want to bring the computer into the bedroom.

Wednesday night, however, I decided to see if I'd be more productive in the online work if I brought the computer to our bedroom and sat at our comfy IKEA POANG chair. K basically lived on this chair after his appendectomy, computer in hand.

The cold weather just made/makes this so appealing! And now in the morning our bedroom is full of sunlight, it's quite lovely! I wasn't that much more productive on Wednesday, but I was much warmer, having moved into the bed, where I am right now as well.

There is something that is bothering me, but which I didn't want to devote a whole post to, mostly because it may be nothing really, or so I hope. Several weeks ago I felt some pain under my right breast, like when the bra is too tight and it hurts for a bit, but I noticed also that there was a lump (a swollen lymph node) under my arm, in same the direction/height of my breast. I waited for a few days to see if it was going to disappear, but no, it's still there. And I also have a similar lump right next to my right year -- I didn't even know we had lymph nodes by our ears, I thought they were mostly in the neck under our face, underarm, and in the groins. So, I actually don't know if this lump on my face is a swollen lymph node or not.

I know I should see a doctor right away, but I'm waiting to see if our new health insurance through the university (and for which we're paying quite a lot for me, over 300) that was supposed to begin now in January has taken effect. The big pharma insurance was in effect through the end of December (the boys, BTW are still uninsured as our Chip application is processed). So, I wait. And I worry, just a bit. I hope and pray it's just nothing, but still, it's a bit scary, considering what it could be.

I should be grading now, or at least cleaning the house, but here I am, blogging. The time suck and the addiction that makes my life so much happier ;-).

7 comments:

Prisca said...

Lilian! Check on that insurance. I worry for you. My mom's a breast cancer survivor so I overreact, but please see if you are covered and get in to see a Dr. -- too much at stake.

M said...

Go to a doctor, Lilian, as soon as you can. This simply isn't something you mess with. Please, my friend, get it checked out sooner rather than later.

Anjali said...

Get thee to a doctor, pronto...

diber said...

I find it the height of luxury to write in bed. I LOVE it. I finished my grad course work very pregnant, writing papers in bed.

Sending you an email...

Aliki2006 said...

I'm worried about you, too--and it's always better to get these things checked out ASAP.

jo(e) said...

I used to find lumps -- swollen lymph nodes -- on my kids all the time in the winter. I used to freak out about it, but then it turned out that it's just what happens after they've had a cold or flu.

So hopefully, the lumps will be nothing. But I agree with everyone who says get them checked out! Just for your own peace of mind.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Yes, Lilian, go to the dr. It might just mean your body is fighting some common germ but you need to know for sure. Don't wait.