Thursday, August 21, 2008

Women's Soccer and Beach Volleyball...

Those of you who have been watching men's gymnastics in the Olympic games may have seen that the Brazilian guy, one of the favorites to medal in solo, fell seated at the end of his last pass and lost his chance to medal.

My friend Prisca just asked me asked if I was watching the women's soccer match this morning, and I have to sadly report that I was!! I was so distressed to see that we (by we I mean the Brazilian team :-) lost once more to the American team, just like in Athens in 2004.

Now this evening Brazil will play the U.S. in the men's beach volleyball's final. Is it too much to hope we get to win? Doesn't the U.S. already have enough medals? ;-) Just kidding, let the best one win -- that is relative, tough because the Brazilian women's soccer team was clearly superior -- but they didn't score a goal. I guess that may be the reason some people don't enjoy soccer -- 90 minutes of a tied game (0 X 0) and then only in the 30 supplementary minutes one team scoring, of course by skill but also by chance. Soccer is tough, I agree...

in another note, I have to tell you that although I haven't had much time to follow the Olympic game broadcasts, the coverage has improved dramatically from 1996, 2000, and 2004 (games that I barely watched, really), to this year, thanks in part to the fact that NBC now owns Telemundo and other channels. If we had MSNBC and Oxygen we would have been able to watch almost everything. Good to know. In 4 years I may get the full cable lineup for the Olympics like I did back in 00 (much to my frustration).

No comments: