Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Three Weeks from Today

I will have defended the dissertation.
I will be a Ph.D. holder
(well, almost, officially I'll be one only after April 30 -- deadline for dissertation submissions).

I can hardly believe this.

And yet I feel kinda sad about it. No more affiliation, no more access to any journals or online resources of an academic library. Nothing. Done. Gone. Yeah. You'll get tired in no time of such sentiments, but they'll be recurrent themes from now on. But today I'll stop here, and try to go back to work. By traveling last Thursday I interrupted all that great momentum that I had gained the 10 days before, the days in which I worked on it over 16 hours a day, so now it's hard to get into it again. Very hard. I've got to do it, though. I'd rather be posting pictures to the blog, but I have to work. More later...

7 comments:

Libby said...

woo-hoo! Three weeks! You go, girl! (I know there are losses involved, but truly, PhD is better than ABD.)

Anonymous said...

I admire your determination and perseverance so much. I'm sure all your readers are cheering you on! Go, go, go, Lilian, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, that was me, not anonymous!

Lauren D. McKinney said...

You can do it, Lilian. I'm so excited for you!

M said...

You go!!!

Scrivener said...

Yay!! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Could not be happier (for you--I could be happier for me, like if I was going to be done in three weeks)! By the way, many academic libraries offer community memberships for a small fee. You should check it out. Even if the physical library is not close to your home, the online resources of a large library could be very useful.