Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Opening(s)

My husband just emailed me about two openings in the Community College closest to our house -- the only one I'd be interested in teaching at this point, since the other ones are so far away.

The first opening doesn't really apply because it's for Spanish (oh, how I repent at these moments for not having made Spanish one of my secondary languages/literatures! -- they are English, Portuguese, French)

But the second opening is great because it is truly "open." It's a diversity faculty fellowship program aimed at promoting the career of exceptional junior faculty and has a relatively light teaching load (for a CC): two classes in the Fall, three in the Spring.

Problem is... am I diverse enough? I do not really identify myself as H!span!c, only in instances when it might make a positive difference, you know. Most often I think of myself as c@ucasian since I'm a Brazilian of mostly European origin. Of course for this application I would say I'm H!spanic, and I DO specialize in a Latin American (though NOT Hispanic) literature. In addition I am very interested in issues of ethnicity, my three publications are exactly about that (Afro-Brazilian aspects of Brazilian children's literature).

Anyway. I'm excited. And I hope other possibilities arise if this one proves fruitless.

6 comments:

Rene said...

Exciting! Definitely keep us updated.

kate said...

That sounds really neat! Good luck!

Aliki2006 said...

I'll be crossing my fingers for you--keep us updated!!

Keiko said...

Que legal Lilian! Tomara que dê certo. Eu sou da mesma posição quanto à minha "latinidade", embora eu pareça bem mais latina que vc (todo mundo acha que eu sou latina, não "japonesa", ainda mais agora que estou mais rechoncuda, to com a maior cara de boliviana;-)

Boa sorte!

beijinho,
keiko

Scrivener said...

Wow, a 2/3 load at a CC? Grab onto that. Best of luck to you.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Go for it girl! Define yourself how you like and let them try to figure out if you are diverse enough. That's a slippery slope anyway. Being Brazilian ought to give you a great edge. It sounds like a great job for you!