Thursday, January 31, 2008

Yesterday

edited to add note to the end.

What an unimaginative title!! What a boring post follows...

OK, this is supposed to be a quick one. I was going to write an "assorted stuff" post but decided to write several shorter ones instead and be scattered in an organized manner. Blah.

Sorry if my mood is not great, you'll understand at the end of the post.

So... yesterday was a tough day. The night wasn't very good to begin with. Linton had a cold since Sunday and had been sleeping with me in our bed (K slept on a mattress on the floor) since Monday night. Tuesday afternoon he started "wheezing" and we gave him a couple of nebulizer treatments in the evening. They didn't help much and he continued breathing shallowly and making a "wheezy" noise, but he kind of slept through it, very fitfully.

I decided to take him to the doctor, but his breathing was so bad (noisy, kind of shallow) that I gave him a nebulizer treatment at 7:40 and, after the visit was already scheduled for 10:45, another one at 9:30. His breathing got much better. When the nurse examined she found that his lungs were absolutely clear!! She advised me to continue with the nebulizer treatments and, as we were getting ready to leave, Linton started crying really hard (very unlike him who behaved perfectly throughout all the examination with lots of probing and three different tries of that machine that measures oxygen in the blood) and... surprise!! he vomited several times... on his clothes, on the floor. YUCK!! I started retching too, but was able to recover quickly, thankfully. Good think we always leave his pajama/ long underwear under his clothes and I had left his jacket in the car, so I just took his soiled clothes off and put on his jacket. I was so flustered when I left that I forgot the copayment and had to go back later for that (after I picked up Kelvin from school).

Linton took a nap in the car (K and I had to go to sign some papers at a doctor's office for our immigration health examination) and woke up much better. I think it was just a one time indisposition... whatever it was. I decided not to do any more nebulizer treatments since he was OK (playing, happy) even with the weird breathing and coughing. The nurse also suggested that he could be allergic to something... or, I don't know, his upper airways get swollen when he has a cold...

I'm glad he got better because...
.... and that's the punchline of this email....
... K left for Brazil in the middle of the night last night (he had an early flight this morning out of JFK), and I have four days ahead of me with the boys. Good thing the first day is almost done!

I know don't how she does/did it.

I'll try to be back with other posts soon.

Edited to add: I forgot to write that afterwards I was very relieved that he vomited in the doctor's office and not at home since we have carpeted floors everywhere here, except the kitchen and the boys' bedroom now. (well, and two of the three bathrooms). And, obviously, I was delighted it was a one time thing and that so far no one else felt bad, like it's happened with my friend Tracy and also with Professing Mama (hopefully not the vomiting, my friend).

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Vomit seems to be making an ugly appearance in both of our lives lately.

May these next days without K be vomit-free and fun!

Anonymous said...

Vomit is the worst, and I agree it was good he did it at the doctor's. They are set up to deal with that - most homes aren't. I have been meaning to email you; I haven't wathed any of the new versions of Jane Austen's works because we don't have tv channels. I need to wait until they get put on Netflix, and then I will so be there. :) I've loved reading everyone's review of the different adaptations.