Friday, January 25, 2008

Fun Collaborative Games -- a Mom Central Review

I'm excited to share with you our experiences with a game and a puzzle that we received as samples from this new line of products for pre-schoolers by that well-known game/toy maker.

We received them before we traveled for out Christmas break so we had to wait until we came back to play. The boys were very interested in both packages and the contents delighted them even more.

This is the first one we opened:
The game is very cute, but sometimes it takes more than 10 minutes to get all the ingredients for a recipe (at least with only two players). One of the things I enjoyed the most about this game was that it's very collaborative and not really a competitive one. The "bonus" place on the board only means you get to choose a favorite ingredient to add to the recipe which can lead to intriguing concoctions such as tomatoes in chocolate chip cookies, or chocolate in an omelet! The game is quite easy for them to play although my 3.5 year old couldn't really concentrate long enough to play until the end.

This other one is not really a game, it's a puzzle with two books (easy and more advanced) of things that one needs to find in the Zoo puzzle (objects with a certain color, or that begin with a specific letter).
Once you find what you were looking for you circle it with the dry-erase marker that is included and the greatest difficulty I had was in having the boys share the maker!! It would be easier if it came with more markers, maybe different colored ones (it's a blue one) so the kids could keep track of who did what. In our case the two activity books are perfect because one can be used by my younger boy and the other by the older one. The zoo puzzle is a fully cooperative activity, too bad it turned out into a competition for the marker! I guess I should just go buy more of those ;)

I wanted to conclude with my son's opinion, so just asked my 5 year old which one he liked best and he said emphatically that he liked both, so there you go!

Disclosure: This is a solicited review and I'll receive a gift certificate to Amazon as compensation.
Like my friend Kateri would say "[I] Will blog for books"(and for fun free games too) :)

1 comment:

Prisca said...

I'd blog for books (and good 'swag!'), too! I thought it was a good review, too. Nice to have such good product testers at your house. ;)