Monday, August 20, 2007

Trying to Update

I know I should be posting on my own blog instead of reading other people's, but I really wanted to try and catch up since I only kept up with about 10% of the blogs in my blogroll while I was in Brazil. I'd blog much more if I didn't enjoy reading and commenting on other people's blogs so much, but then, would I have any readers? Would I connect to anyone? That's the whole point of blogging for me -- truly interacting with people, so I really enjoy commenting and spending time reading other people's thoughts.

Another problem that plagues me in blog writing is my terrible indecision about what to post and the almost infinite amount of subjects and topics that I want to blog about . I would certainly overwhelm any readers that I still may have if I started to blog regularly about all the things that I want to blog about. So I end up doing the opposite -- I don't post as much as I should/could. Vicious cycle.

OK, so what's up around here at Casa-in-Translation?

My husband has officially stopped working at a postdoc and is home this week trying to get everything ready for the move since he starts his new job at "Big Pharma" next Monday. We have started getting boxes down from the attic, making to-do lists, and thinking non-stop about the house we want to buy (topic of another post).

We had a sick boy over the weekend as well. Kelvin had a mild cold in Brazil, with a quick fever and some coughing, but he had gotten better. However, he started coughing again after we returned and started running a fever on Thursday evening. He was also having some trouble breathing, nothing serious, not really wheezing only some tiredness and shortness of breath after running around and playing, but I got his doctor's office to phone in a prescription for albuterol for the nebulizer since we already have all the equipment, but were out of the medication. He only used the nebulizer twice and his cough is better. We kept the fever in check with Tylenol, and he was OK on Saturday. On Sunday morning he had an earache -- probably the very first ear infection since he was born, the first ever in this family -- and he slept for three hours in the morning and woke up without pain. I think this infection is just viral and part of his cold (he has a runny nose too), so I just kept up with the Tylenol. He had no fever yesterday morning so I thought that only 3 days with a fever (Th-Sunday) were no reason to go to the doctor. He did have a temperature last night, but that was it. I'm keeping an eye on him and if there's a fever again in the days to come, I'll bring him to the doctor. I don't want him to have to take antibiotics for what's probably just a virus anyway, so I'm hoping his body will heal on his own. Sorry about the long health related paragraph...

In spite of his illness and our need for productivity, we still went to Longwood Gardens on Saturday evening to see the fountains -- we missed that place since we haven't been there in two months or more. Then on Sunday we tried work on the house, but didn't get much done. Today we had to notarize a document and we did two quick trips to Home Depot and IKEA to check the prices of things we're going to have to buy. It was the first time Linton stayed at the Smaland play area! He was looking forward to that since he started peeing in the potty and toilet (#2 is another story, still no full progress in that dept.).

So, tomorrow we're FINALLY going to see two houses (we wanted to have gone on Sunday so we could have written an offer yesterday): the one we loved last week and another one that my husband visited twice and posted photos and video for me online. I don't think we want it (I'll write another post about them), but I just want to check it out.

Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers so we can make the right decision about the house. Let's see if I can write a post about that now and sorry for the slightly lame post...

5 comments:

M said...

Nothing lame about the post at all. I'm jealous--the first ear infection in your family! S has had 5 ear infections since May. At our pediatrician's recommendaton, he recently had tubes put in his ears in an attempt to correct the problem--his Eustachian tubes are too short so they don't drain properly. As much as I hated to have him go through this procedure, I equally hated having him on antibiotics constantly. I hope Kelvin feels better soon!

Tracy said...

Glad to hear that things are progressing for you!

And I, of course, am anxiously waiting for your house posts. Pictures, pictures, pictures, my friend! I want to see kitchens! Bathrooms! Backyards!

Keiko said...

Lilian, eu sei o sentimento, eu não ando dando conta da minha lista de blogs que pra piorar, só cresce a cada dia...as vezes soh leio e nao comento, ou vou fazendo um rodízio de comentários...mtuio difícil essa vida :-)

Agora quanto as orações, já está.

Beijinho,
Keiko

Unknown said...

Sounds like everything is coming together beautifully! Best of luck with the house decision! I look forward to seeing pictures!

Juliet said...

Post whatever you want as grequently as you like. It is your blog, after all. .I am sorry that I've been so bad about commenting lately. You write so well, and have so much to say, that any comment I have doesn't seem to do it justice. I will really try to be better about that.

I am sending good wishes and good health to you and your family.