Tuesday, April 17, 2007

(No More) Blogging Blues

(written last week on Friday, April 13 and amended today)

Every once in a while I write a post like this. I think it's an inevitable part of blogging, unfortunately. I actually wanted to check all my " meta-blogging" posts (translation: blog posts about blogging) to find out how often I've done it, but I decided not to, even because last time I felt like writing a post like this one, I didn't do it, I only added a paragraph to a "regular" post.

The main causes of the current blues:

1) Readership never improves, on the contrary, it seems to decline over time, as some former commenters just don't manifest themselves anymore. My stats have always been dismal... that's why I waited for them to go over 10 thousand to display them as a number (and that took a long time, since I get only 30 hits a day -- including the search engines ones).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the readers and commenters that I do have, but sad with my inability to get noticed in blogosphere... I know I probably should be reading more blogs, finding new people, but I just can't do this right now -- I already read too many blogs, which takes a lot of time from other more serious pursuits such as dissertation writing.

2) Sometimes I get tired of reading so many blogs that don't read mine, but that's part of blogging too... I just enjoy reading some people and learn so much from others.

3) I'm frustrated with my own writing and instead of having the blog as an outlet to share my thoughts in an informal way, I feel pressured (by my own perfectionism, I should add) to post only things that are fairly good and polished. So there's a huge backlog of posts that I really want or wanted to post, but haven't yet, or never will because it takes a lot of time and energy to get them written down and "published" in the first place and it doesn't seem to be worth the effort since I just don't have that many readers... See, it's a vicious cycle!

4) It's very sad when I see one of my blogging friends quit blogging and kind of unsettling when they take a break. It's also a normal part of life in the blogosphere, but it makes me feel lonely when I learn that someone I met through blogging and consider a true friend will no longer be blogging. I feel sad even when blogs whose writers don't know me quit blogging too (like Sekie did last year, for example, she who wrote scholarly posts on home-birthing, breastfeeding, etc.)...

5) ....

-----

Now I don't even remember what 5 was! I was almost done writing this post but then I couldn't finish it and I didn't post it. Then, on Saturday night I found out that my friend Corey Heller, who blogs at An American Between Worlds and is the founder of the great site Bilingual/Bicultural Family Network and the online magazine Multilingual Living (I'm honored to have been invited to write columns for both the site and the magazine, more on that some other time), chose to name my blog for the "Thinking Blogger Award" and I this made me so happy that I felt glad I hadn't posted this.

And today I found out that another graduate student mama blogger, Working Writing Wailing Mama also chose me for this meme! Wow! I was just blown away and felt incredibly encouraged by her words about my blog.

I'll do the memes in two separate posts later (I really have to go to bed now, tomorrow's going to be a loooong day! - oh, in case you're wondering, we're planning to make an offer, I'll keep you posted), but I just wanted to come here and post my previous qualms with blogging together with the statement that with all this encouragement, I feel no more blogging blues right now. Talk about good timing!!

10 comments:

kate said...

Lilian, I still can't comment here using my habitual browser (Firefox), so it's harder for me to post on the run. (It had always worked before, but lately, no...)

Anyway, I think that if you really want new readers, you have to promote yourself, by commenting on lots of other blogs (I know I sometimes am intrigued enough to click on the profile of a commenter as I read blogs) and joining webrings and all of that.

As for me, I, like you, don't have time to do that now, nor do I have time to post often and make the effort to produce well-crafted posts. Which I'm sure is reflected in my numbers...

Anyway, I know that I often read and very much enjoy lots of posts that I don't bother to comment on (here and elsewhere) so just because you don't have a lot of comments doesn't mean that lots of people aren't enjoying your words. doesn't help much, I know, but try to keep it in mind.

I hope you get over your blogging blues!

Vera said...

So you really need to be noticed in the blogosphere ? don't worry I can vote for you if you need to ...
I understand that someone who comes out of literature has a strong need to have many "readers" !:-) I think that blogging is made of the pleasure of sharing, don't stress about stats, you're doing right ! I'm reading you ! ;-)isn'it great ;-)

Gabriella said...

I so understand the need sometimes to have more readers. I often wonder what makes a blog more "popular" than others. And that starts me thinking that blogging shouldn't be like high school with all the popular groups. But I still understand. Although sometimes I think we have more readers than we know but they all don't comment.

Renata said...

I have wanted to comment for some time but just haven't. I am also a Brazilian Expat but I have spent most of my life outside of Brazil. I found you a few months ago through the Bilingual/Bicultural Family Network when I was looking for resources on teaching my kids Portuguese. I enjoy reading your blog and you also take beautiful pictures. Congratulations on your award.

Anonymous said...

Wow, over 10,000 hits, and you're feeling bad about your numbers? I would feel like a rock star if I had 10,000 hits, it's all relative. I agree that one way to get your readership up is to read and comment at other blogs. I don't do that too much either, I guess that's why I'd feel like a rock star if I had 10,000 hits. I am not even sure if my family is reading--the people I created the blog for in the first place--but I don't mind since it's enjoyable just to write it.

Keiko said...

Lilian, isso é muito engraçado, exatamente antes de abrir o seu blog hoje, eu falei essa frase pro Johnny: "o que eu faço pro meu blog ser mais popular?" !
Eu tinha mesmo visto sua nomeação no working while... e tinha ficado tão orgulhosa de você!!! Tá vendo, não seja injusta com vc, vc tem sempre tantos comentários e tá ficando famosa!
Mas é um fato, eu vejo uns blogs com 60 comentários por post e fico arrasada...hehe, acho que lá eu nunca chego...
Agora, um fenômeno que eu tenho observado no meu blog (por tenho observado leia-se nos últimos 2 posts), posts muito grandes tem a tendência de não ter comentários, acho que as pessoas se cansam lendo e aí não tem energia pra comentar...será??
ok, esse comentário gigante deveria ter sido mandado por email, mas agora já era...

beijinho,
Keiko

jo(e) said...

I think sometimes when it seems like people aren't reading any more it just means that they've discovered feed readers like bloglines or Sage: those don't show up in your stats.

I read a lot of blogs in bloglines, for instance, and only click through if I want to leave a comment.

I too feel sort of sad when bloggers quit -- usually I don't even know their real names and they live far away so it's not like I might ever run into them again.

kate said...

Yes, that's true-- I think more and more people are going to feed readers (myself included!)

Alice said...

Don't be sad, Lilian, as you see I'm still around reading your blog & leaving comments. And you know how you can reach me. Also who knows I might be back soon. There's a reason why I didn't erase my blog, you know ... Maybe after the summer... I don't know. For now I am enjoying not "having to blog" ! :)

Clo said...

Lilian, I'm one of those who des not comments your posts regularly, I suppose, while you're kind enough to always be there on mine...What can I say...I do read you, but I don't have much time to do so regularly, so at big chuncks at a time...Blogosphere is like life, I suppose, there are blocks of time in which you are closer with certain people and then life drifts you temporarily apart...the connection remains very strong for me, it's just a matter of time available! Congratulations on your award, very much deserved! And in terms of readers, what is exactly your objective? Why do you want or need more readers? As many others have suggested, the only way is to work out on promotion....but if you can't do that for the time, enjoy your faitful 30! In this day in age with the multiplicy (?) of media outliets, websites, papers and gazillions of blogs to choose to read, I'd say that 30 people around the world is A LOT! Big hugs!