Monday, April 16, 2007

Finding The One

Luckily I've already found the one person with whom I want to spend the rest of my life with :), but life has other needs that need to be filled, like food and shelter. The shelter part gets to be a little tricky whenever one needs to relocate.

Today we braved the intense rain and got to be appalled by the sight of lots of flooding in the Schuylkill river in order to look at some houses for the first time. We only visited seven, but we may have found "the one." I have no idea whether it will work out, but there is a possibility that I may have trees and lots of room for gardening after all (insert hopeful sigh of almost relief here). The house is tiny, old, but sound, and the basement can be redone to almost double the living space. The kitchen immediately made me think of Dawn*, since it's carpeted. It's a corner lot, so there's a lot of land, including nice trees, particularly a lovely trio of tall pine trees (the blue spruce squished in the middle just melts my heart since it's my favorite pine tree) -- and there's actually a fourth one to the left, and a fifth by the garage. Lots of evergreens to help with the winter blues ;) (what a silly statement!).

Anyway, I hesitate to get my hopes too high, but deep down, I'm excited. I'll keep you posted!

And since the lovely Delia liked the closing statement of a previous post (which is one I really enjoyed writing and I don't know if all of you read -- sorry for the self promotion, but I had such high hopes for this one post, but many people didn't comment), I feel the same way I did about writing about trees, room for gardening and landscaping, and owning a single family home... Dreams, (this time big ones), that may come true... if we just dream enough and act on those dreams.


*For those who don't already know, Dawn is one of my favorite bloggers. She's been blogging since 2001 and writes very honestly and openly about her life. I have the utmost respect for her writing and her role in enlightening people about open adoption. Oh, yeah, and when they bought a house last year, it had carpet in the kitchen. And it was a house very much in the 60's -- with lots of character.

4 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am with you - I would fall in love with a house for the trees and garden potential. A sound basement is good too LOL!

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Wow, how exciting! Our garden is tiny but I'm trying to make it perfectly formed.

Keiko said...

Espero que os pinheiros no quintal compensem o carpete na cozinha (?!?!?!) é cada uma que me inventam....já tinha visto no banheiro, mas na cozinha foi campeão :-)

Left-handed Trees... said...

Ooh...I didn't know you were moving. We're putting our house on the market next spring, so I look forward to reading about how your process goes!
Love,
D.